AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just about to buy a Kenwood VR-510 receiver which has received good reviews for a "THX Select" certified unit. I liked that it had 2 component video ins and 1 out - so I could presumably switch between a progressive DVD and a DirecTV HDTV receiver output going into my plasma screen's single set of component in jacks. Well, I was shocked to hear that the switching system Kenwood uses to switch between the 2 sources will not handle HDTV (isn't it just a relay or solid state switch??). Here is Kenwood's written response:

"Thank you for writing to us at Kenwood USA Corporation.

The bandwidth on the component video connections on the VR-510 is 10 MHz and HDTV video signal requires a 40 MHz bandwidth." They went on to suggest buying their $3000 receiver if I wanted such switching.

Is this a limitation with other moderately priced units? How could Kenwood have been so shortsighted in spec'ing their component inputs - don't they know that HDTV is coming?? Should I forget component switching with the receiver and get a hardware switch? Thanks. PlasMAN

·
Registered
6 Posts
I 100% appreciate your disappointment. I too do not see the point of offering a non-HDTV bandwidth component switch. I think they all should be at 50mhz.

The problem is, the cheap ones aren't. Even the Denon 3802 is only 27mhz.

I think Onkyo's are all high bandwidth..

·
Registered
654 Posts
As late as last year, only the flagship models of SOME manufacturers would support HD component switching. If all of the Onkyos (with component inputs/outputs) now support 40/50 mHz, that would be great. I would carefully check before buying if this is an issue...

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks - Are they manipulating the signals (upconverting or downconverting, etc) in some way or what? What type of physical switch would handle 50 Mhz? Something like an RF switch for 75 ohm coax? I'd need three A-B switches I guess?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.