AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If my receiver has a built-in DTS decoder, do I need to connect my DVD player to the receiver and use "6 channel direct", or will the signal be decoded and sent to all the speakers like it is with Dolby Digital? I'm just confused, because my old "DTS Ready" receiver would only play DTS if you used the "6 channel direct" mode.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Yes it will - if indeed it has a decoder onboard (the logo should be on the front of the receiver). Your previous receiver, being "dts Ready" was just a marketing term referring to it's 6-channel input, most likely - I doubt it had a dts decoder onboard, forcing you to switch between analog and digital inputs. If you hook up your DVD player digitally, your newer receiver should be able to decode both (depending on what bitstream you choose when you watch a DVD via the DVD's menus).

A few things: some DVD players have a toggle in their menu set to turn on the dts stream on or off, preventing you from sending a dts signal to a receiver that can decode it (wondering noise, if you do). Your receiver probably has an "auto-sense" feature, so it'll auto switch to whatever decoding is required. And typically, both DD and dts use the same bass management/speaker config settings, so you should only have to set it up once.

Hope this helps!

Chris

·
Registered
752 Posts
I think what you are asking is since both my receiver and dvd have DTS built in and do I use the 6 channel inputs.

Depends on the following.

Does your DVD player play sacd or dvd audio (perhaps both) check manual or for logo's on the front of the unit.

If the answer is YES it plays DVD Audio or SACD then you would need to run the 6 channel outputs of the dvd player to the 6 channel inputs on your AV receiver. This is the only way to take advantage of the High Resolution Disc's

The optical or coaxial digital cable on your DVD player is for both Dolby Digital & DTS to playback. Use you digital switching on your AV Receiver

Last Keep in mind if you don't have the ability at this time to play the HiRes music disc's, you can still buy music on DVD Audio and DTS Audio CD's and listen to them. The DVD Audio disc's have either DTS or Dolby Digital tracks as well. You can enjoy multi-channel surround music this way. Then when you upgrade your dvd player just make sure it plays DVD Audio disc's

Good luck and hope it works out

Scooter

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.