AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do current blue ray discs deliberately produce soundtracks with huge differences between dialogue and sound effects volume levels?. I only ever get this problem on dvd when its a DTS soundtrack otherwise it fine and I can always turn off DTS.on blue ray all the tracks seem to be like DTS,...massive difference in vol levels , unless theres a 2 channel stereo option then its normal volume dynamics.its veryimpressive but I've got neighbours!

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kplex /forum/post/17008202

dialnorm doesn't affect dynamics. It affects overall volume.

I agree that it does not affect dynamics. I should have worded that differently. Basically, what dialnorm does, is to tell the decoder how to adjust the volume such that dialog is the correct level. It's totally dependent on a piece of data stored in the Dolby Digital metadata. In other words, the decoder has no way of figuring out how loud dialog is in an audio stream - it relies on the metadata for that.

The result of dialnorm is that DD soundtracks are likely going to play a bit quieter than DTS. I mention this, because if you are comparing DD to DTS at the same volume setting, they will be likely be different.

My receiver has a setting for dynamic range. My choices are MAX, STD and MIN/AUTO. I suggest you look in your manual for a dynamic range setting and try that out to see if it helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts