AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which one do each of you prefer using? I've been using Dolby Digital but I tried to check out DTS but when I switched my receiver over to DTS 6.1 I was getting no sound. Now after thinking about it I'm starting to wonder whether that was because the DVD I was playing (LOTR) didn't support DTS. Could that be it? Also, does only HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs support DTS to begin with? How much better is DTS than Dolby Digital, or is it just personal preference?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
975 Posts
You don't switch the audio signal through the receiver. When you switched the receiver to DTS, it is going to look for only a DTS signal. Leave it on "Auto".

You have to go to the DVD audio menu and select DTS, if that is an option on the DVD. I believe only the LOTR extended editions have DTS, but I could be wrong on that.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Any DVD I've owned indicated which it had on the rear of the box, if memory serves. You might check some of the online vendors' product info for some discs as well. If your DTS discs are not emitting any sound, I'd suggest going into your setup for the AVR and the player. I had to fiddle with my 2805 and my changer to get it right. I had been using analog cables but got it right when I installed coax line. I didn't trust myself with the seemingly flimsy optical lines.

YMMV

·
Registered
7,802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denon2807 /forum/post/0

Which one do each of you prefer using? I've been using Dolby Digital but I tried to check out DTS but when I switched my receiver over to DTS 6.1 I was getting no sound. Now after thinking about it I'm starting to wonder whether that was because the DVD I was playing (LOTR) didn't support DTS. Could that be it? Also, does only HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs support DTS to begin with? How much better is DTS than Dolby Digital, or is it just personal preference?

Thanks in advance.

Like Rockemsockem said, the EE versions are the only ones with DTS. DTS can be on any format. DTS vs. Dolby Digital? Now there's a question that can open up an aging can of worms. There is a loooong standing debate on this one. Me, I have always found the DTS to be preferable.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Oh $hit here we go again!

·
Registered
7,802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by louthewiz /forum/post/0

Oh $hit here we go again!

Yeah, I could have gone all day without showing a preference in my above post. Soon we'll be on the DVD vs. Laserdisc debate. Oh, and by the way.............DD SUCKS!!! DTS ALL THE WAY!!!! YEEHAAAA!!!!!

·
Registered
4,054 Posts

Quote:
DD SUCKS!!! DTS ALL THE WAY!!!! YEEHAAAA!!!!!

Nope DD is better!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by louthewiz /forum/post/0

Nope DD is better!!!!!!!!

I was about to say hell with both, I'll take PCM
........but I don't have HDMI on my preamp, so I can't back that up
. I guess I'll just have to stick with DTS since it's the best.......Uh oh, did I just type that

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
Try doing a blind comparison test, like they did a few years ago in S&V, and then tell me, which one is the best.

Ian

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
I usually do DTS if available, but not that many of my DVDs have it, so no biggie. I do think DTS sounds better on my system, but I don't know how much of it is psychoacoustics and how much is the actual encoding.

BTW, on mine, I had to set my DVD player to send DTS through, as well as setting the DVD menu to DTS.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all of your responses guys. I'll give DTS a shot as soon as my new center channel arrives. No center speaker right now so most of the speech can't be heard, thus a movie can't be enjoyed without it.

·
Premium Member
15,029 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denon2807 /forum/post/0

Thanks for all of your responses guys. I'll give DTS a shot as soon as my new center channel arrives. No center speaker right now so most of the speech can't be heard, thus a movie can't be enjoyed without it.

Go into your receiver and set the Center Channel to "None". This will re-direct the dialogue and CC signal to the L/R's. You'll need to sit in the middle to hear the phantom image of the CC, but it will be heard just fine from other locations as well.

Craig

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.