AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm not sure I understand the difference.

I have a 5.1 system. When I play a DTS:X movie, my AVR can play it in DTS:X Master or DTS Virtual:X.

From what I understand, DTS:X, as opposed to Atmos, can do 3d sound without any height speakers (in fact, it can do it on any speakers setup).

So, to have this 3d effect on a 5.1 system, do I stay in DTS:X MSTR or I need to chose Virtual:X ?

Maybe Virtual X is to create an "X" eperience on non-DTS:X track ? If that's the case, why do I have the Virtual:X option when I playing a DTS:X track ? I mean it's already DTS:X.

So as you can see, I'm confused.

With Atmos it's easy, I just enable Dolby height virtualization and I hear sound above me and tha's it.

thanks

·
Registered
436 Posts
DTS Virtual:X is a height virtualization feature designed to deliver a height experience on Stereo, 5.1, or 7.1 setups, pretty much setups without any height speakers installed. Whereas DTS:X is a true 3D immersive object-based audio, just like the more popular Dolby Atmos. If you want a more virtual-like immersive experience with your 5.1 setup, you would use DTS Virtual:X for DTS-encoded tracks and/or Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization for Dolby-encoded tracks.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DTS Virtual:X is a height virtualization feature designed to deliver a height experience on Stereo, 5.1, or 7.1 setups, pretty much setups without any height speakers installed. Whereas DTS:X is a true 3D immersive object-based audio, just like the more popular Dolby Atmos. If you want a more virtual-like immersive experience with your 5.1 setup, you would use DTS Virtual:X for DTS-encoded tracks and/or Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization for Dolby-encoded tracks.

thanks ! So I need Virtual X in my case.

I have Jurassic world fallen kingdom and I tried it in Virtual X. I must say I was not impressed at all. When I try Atmos movies with Dolby height virtualization (like mad max), it's spectacular. I'm really surprised how good it works but that was not my experience at all with Virtual X.

Is it because it's an inferior virtualization or ti's simply that this movie isn't that good on height ?

Any DTS:X movie recommendation that are known to have some height ?

·
Registered
436 Posts
thanks ! So I need Virtual X in my case.

I have Jurassic world fallen kingdom and I tried it in Virtual X. I must say I was not impressed at all. When I try Atmos movies with Dolby height virtualization (like mad max), it's spectacular. I'm really surprised how good it works but that was not my experience at all with Virtual X.

Is it because it's an inferior virtualization or ti's simply that this movie isn't that good on height ?

Any DTS:X movie recommendation that are known to have some height ?
Not entirely 100% sure but I think the overhead usage on JW Fallen Kingdom were more sparsely used therefore not as aggressive as some other mixes out there. Personally these are my favorite DTS:X mixes so far:
Atomic Blonde, The Last Witch Hunter, Lone Survivor, Independence Day, Wolf Warrior 2, and almost all IMAX Enhanced releases from Sony Pictures Entertainment so far.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts