AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 4251 Posts

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With DTS:X finally available for Denon X7200W(A), it's time for an exclusive DTS:X thread for all those who want to share their experience after upgrade.
So let's go..

Please share your views on

1. DTS:X compared to Atmos
2. DTS:Neural X compared to DSU
3. Content you watched and recommend . (Right now only Ex-Machina I guess)
4. Speaker layouts

and on and on

·
Registered
181 Posts
OK!

But if we to compare Atmos vs DTS:X we use the Atmos thread, correct?
In this thread, only DTS:X vs Atmos?

:D

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
I may hold off on the upgrade until the verdict is out on how Neural:X compares to DSU. With only a handful of titles with Native DTS:X I am fearful to give up DSU. I am thrilled with the way it sounds with DTS titles. Is there a way to downgrade/roll back the firmware if not happy?

·
Registered
3 Posts
With DTS:X finally available for Denon X7200W(A), it's time for an exclusive DTS:X thread for all those who want to share their experience after upgrade.
So let's go..

Please share your views on

1. DTS:X compared to Atmos
2. DTS:Neural X compared to DSU
3. Content you watched and recommend . (Right now only Ex-Machina I guess)
4. Speaker layouts

and on and on
DTS Neural:X is much better than the Dolby Surround Upmixer (DSU).
Attached Comparison: First minutes of "Transformers: Age Of Extinction" using DSU and Neural:X - yes, you can also hear the difference! ;)

Best,
Luke

Attachments

·
Registered
30,054 Posts
To really compare you need to send a multich track as PCM so you can switch between both upmixers on the exact same content.

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
14,546 Posts
Greetings,

I am looking forward to seeing how Neural:X handles legacy lossless DTS as well. I currently have both The Last Witch Hunter and Crimson Peak, native DTS:X, in for review. I am not so certain about the films themselves but hope that their soundtracks prove rewarding.

Regards,

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Greetings,

I am looking forward to seeing how Neural:X handles legacy lossless DTS as well. I currently have both The Last Witch Hunter and Crimson Peak, native DTS:X, in for review. I am not so certain about the films themselves but hope that their soundtracks prove rewarding.

Regards,
Are using a DTS X AVR for the review of The Last Witch Hunter and Crimson Peak?

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Greetings,

Regards,
What AVR do you have again? Does it allow for DTS HD+DSU as well as native DTS:X? My Denon 7200 does not allow for this once the upgrade is done. I am not willing to give up DTS HD+DSU until I have more info with regard to how Neural sounds with DTS HD titles. Most of my collection is DTS HD native and love the DSU sound. I would hope DTS Neural would be equally as good.

·
Bass Enabler
21,594 Posts
Looks like the same input was fed to both upmixers and then the output was measured (so you could visually see what was being extracted and sent to the height speakers).
Could be. Idk, that's why I'd like to hear his response about this.

All it looks like to me is two single mono waveforms. One showing more variation and amplitude compared to the other.

Reading between the lines here, I see that the more exciting looking one would probably be the Neural:X height content compared to the more restrained DSU. I'm guessing. So more is better, I guess.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Could be. Idk, that's why I'd like to hear his response about this.

All it looks like to me is two single mono waveforms. One showing more variation and amplitude compared to the other.

Reading between the lines here, I see that the more exciting looking one would probably be the Neural:X height content compared to the more restrained DSU. I'm guessing. So more is better, I guess.
You feeling ok today?

Reactions: Shniks and sdurani

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
14,546 Posts
Greetings,

Are using a DTS X AVR for the review of The Last Witch Hunter and Crimson Peak?
What AVR do you have again? Does it allow for DTS HD+DSU as well as native DTS:X? My Denon 7200 does not allow for this once the upgrade is done. I am not willing to give up DTS HD+DSU until I have more info with regard to how Neural sounds with DTS HD titles. Most of my collection is DTS HD native and love the DSU sound. I would hope DTS Neural would be equally as good.
I am using the Marantz AV8802A pre/pro. The DTS:X upgrade for it is due for release next week. I will wait and cover these after applying the update.

Regards,

1 - 20 of 4251 Posts