AVS Forum banner

2821 - 2840 of 4251 Posts

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
Ok, clear.
Do you know why the 6200 is clicking away when i goes from Auro to DD/DTS, and from DD/DTS to Auro ?

Thanks !
The relays click when it has to change the speaker configuration. It's disconnecting speaker channels that aren't being used and connecting ones which are. It's a way to minimize noise levels, including cross-talk, when a speaker is not going to be used to generate any sound.

Reactions: pacman9270

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
The relays click when it has to change the speaker configuration. It's disconnecting speaker channels that aren't being used and connecting ones which are. It's a way to minimize noise levels, including cross-talk, when a speaker is not going to be used to generate any sound.

Thanks Selden, but what i do find strange is that when the 6200 switches from say Atmos/DSU or DTS/Neural to Stereo/Direct, it will not click, it will do this only when it comes from Auro, or goes to Auro......

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
Thanks Selden, but what i do find strange is that when the 6200 switches from say Atmos/DSU or DTS/Neural to Stereo/Direct, it will not click, it will do this only when it comes from Auro, or goes to Auro......
Do you have Rear Surround speakers?

If so, you're hearing them being enabled and disabled.

Atmos, DTS:X and Direct all use Rear Surrounds. If you have Dolby Surround and Neural:X enabled, they'll make use of them, too. Auro3D and their 3D upmixer do not, although their 2D upmixer does.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Do you have Rear Surround speakers?

If so, you're hearing them being enabled and disabled.

Atmos, DTS:X and Direct all use Rear Surrounds. If you have Dolby Surround and Neural:X enabled, they'll make use of them, too. Auro3D and their 3D upmixer do not, although their 2D upmixer does.

Yes i have, seems to be the clicking noise, yes or no rear surround.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
That's not true.
VOG speaker is in use on any 5.1 or 7.1 track playing by auro-matic and I not sure if is in use, if you play Atmos or DTS-X via auro3d.

Its a bit strange, every upmix to Auro3D will give the VOG.
Also from an Atmos track i will get Auro3D with VOG.
It will show when Auro is active, TrueHD (not Atmos), it will skip the SB and TS will be active.
But for a DTS:X track i can not even select Auro, its not in the audio mode list !!

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Its a bit strange, every upmix to Auro3D will give the VOG.
Also from an Atmos track i will get Auro3D with VOG.
It will show when Auro is active, TrueHD (not Atmos), it will skip the SB and TS will be active.
But for a DTS:X track i can not even select Auro, its not in the audio mode list !!
Maybe VOG talk is better suited in the Auro 3d thread, neither DTS:X nor Atmos will use it.

Reactions: mrtickleuk

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Is "Front Wide" still a part of DTS:X and Atmos ?
Did read both stopped supporting the Wide schannels, is this true ?

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Is "Front Wide" still a part of DTS:X and Atmos ?
Did read both stopped supporting the Wide schannels, is this true ?
DTS:X content is hard coded to 7.1.4, of which wides isn't one of the positions.

Atmos for the home supports 24.1.10, of which wides is a supported position.

Now that the manufacturers of consumer grade kit decided to drop wide speakers in 2016 is unfortunate, however anyone with an Atmos system that supports wides will keep on enjoying it for all future content.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Yes to both, rather simply, all of the major brand AVR mfr's have dropped support for Front Wide on their 2016 models.
Still works great on the 2015 models though :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Still works great on the 2015 models though :)
I had been running a 9.1 DTS Neo:X setup for the past few years with front wides.

Just tried a new receiver running DTS:X, Atmos, DSU, DTS Neural.... in 5.1.4

I have to say, can't really tell much of a difference. The Neo:X sounded amazing as it was and I really couldn't understand how it could be that much better with the newest gen formats. So if I give DTS Neo: X a 9/10, DTS:X = 9.25 (i do notice some details not present on Neo), but Neural and DSU might actually be inferior to Neo:X, or at least do not seem that much better.

Am I in the minority here to those that have tested out both formats? I am thinking about doing a side by side test next weekend.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I had been running a 9.1 DTS Neo:X setup for the past few years with front wides.

Just tried a new receiver running DTS:X, Atmos, DSU, DTS Neural.... in 5.1.4

I have to say, can't really tell much of a difference. The Neo:X sounded amazing as it was and I really couldn't understand how it could be that much better with the newest gen formats. So if I give DTS Neo: X a 9/10, DTS:X = 9.25 (i do notice some details not present on Neo), but Neural and DSU might actually be inferior to Neo:X, or at least do not seem that much better.

Am I in the minority here to those that have tested out both formats? I am thinking about doing a side by side test next weekend.
I don't have rear surrounds due to my room layout, so have never tried 9.1; but based on my experience in my theater, I would give up my front wides before my four top/height speakers. That said, I really wish that support for 7.1.4 (with front wides in lieu of rear surrounds) would continue as the wides really do add to the sound in my space (which is relatively wide and short)

2821 - 2840 of 4251 Posts