AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Why would you have not done the rabbet on the baffle? (just curious) I figured you were trying to minimize the exposed MDF edge.
Yep, If I was smart and had planned out the whole project in full, I would have eliminated the exposed edges completely by......mitering them too. My brother pointed this out to me as well. I generally "work pretty well on my feet" and just jump right into speaker projects making decisions and figuring it out along the way, maybe a quick sketch here and there. This time, I had gotten set on the idea of that rabbet before I had fully decided on the miters everywhere else. I will have to take a pic of what I'm talking about, there is no way I can explain the issue.
I may have to backtrack and glue a strip of MDF back into the rabbet I ripped. 😭

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yep, If I was smart and had planned out the whole project in full, I would have eliminated the exposed edges completely by......mitering them too. My brother pointed this out to me as well. I generally "work pretty well on my feet" and just jump right into speaker projects making decisions and figuring it out along the way, maybe a quick sketch here and there. This time, I had gotten set on the idea of that rabbet before I had fully decided on the miters everywhere else. I will have to take a pic of what I'm talking about, there is no way I can explain the issue.
I may have to backtrack and glue a strip of MDF back into the rabbet I ripped. 😭
Knowing how to fix your own mistakes is the mark of a good craftsman. Nice work, thanks for the updates and pics.

·
Premium Member
4,762 Posts
Ah, miter it. So simple that I didn't think of it :)

At first I was thinking that it would be one heck of a complicated piece to put back into the baffle edge but actually it can just be a square if you're just going to miter-cut it later.

So miters all around and no visible MDF edges. You are a hero. :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Damn this is awesome!

Can't wait to post mine as I want to make sure they work before I show off my carpet, towels and $15 sawhorse set up ;) lol

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I had my son help me stand everything up and get some ratchet straps secured again so I could take a look at what needs to happen on the top and bottom pieces. I just could not visualize it in my brain or on paper.
Because of those rabbets, and then the miters, this is what I’m left with at the junctions of the front side panels and the baffle top (and bottom) corners.

But first off, the rest of those miters are looking nice!

With the top set in place:

Now if you can visualize it, that top piece will have miters all the way around and will set down into the top of the box.

So what I’m going to attempt to do is stop the miter cut on the first two sides short, just before they meet the baffle. Then I’ll set my bandsaw at a 45 and finish the cut right up to where the tiny triangle mark is. If it works, that little triangle will drop down into the triangle created by the baffle and side piece shown, like a key.
And if it doesn’t work, and I botch it up, I’ll proceed with gluing a strip of MDF back into the rabbets and start over with a miter there as I mentioned earlier. Or, I'll take the easy road and just use some filler in that tiny triangle hole, which would be much easier!
If I can’t have some fun and challenge myself with this stuff, then it just becomes a job, so what the hell?

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Damn this is awesome!

Can't wait to post mine as I want to make sure they work before I show off my carpet, towels and $15 sawhorse set up ;) lol
Oh man, I have never done any of this stuff inside of a living space, but you should have seen my garage back in 2013 when I was cutting all of the panels for my curvy subs using a 20 year old circular saw and a homemade straight edge on the floor with no vacuum cleaner in sight! Things have come a very long way since then.

·
Premium Member
4,762 Posts
You've cut yourself into a corner man. Literally. :)

That little corner is an easy one for some putty. But if you put the MDF back into the rabbets, you'd achieve the "no MDF edge" goal.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
It looks great.

One way you can fix this, if you glue a piece in there is stop cutting the miter at the corner and hand saw it at .75” from the corner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I'd probably run the top and bottom through the router table with a chamfer bit, instead of trying to do all sides on the table saw. Looking good man!

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
@Trimlock @JohnDean Both good suggestions. I do wish I had thought this thing through a bit more when I started. I was pricing out chamfer bits at my local Woodcraft thinking that would be the best way for the top and bottom pieces. should be way easier to get it right that way.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
@Trimlock @JohnDean Both good suggestions. I do wish I had thought this thing through a bit more when I started. I was pricing out chamfer bits at my local Woodcraft thinking that would be the best way for the top and bottom pieces. should be way easier to get it right that way.
I can confirm that a chamfer bit is easier to do 45 miters with.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Thanks guys! I picked up a Whiteside chamfer bit with a 3/4” cutting height after work and did some test cuts. It sure is easy! That’s definitely the way to do these top and bottom boards vs. trying to square the part to the table saw blade for every cut.
After another two attempts, I made the final master top panel to copy a few others from. I’ll just cut 3 more rough pieces and then tape them together and run them around the router table with a flush trim bit. Once those are done, I can run all 4 through the chamfer bit.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
If I can't find an easy way to save the tiny triangle stub on the top panel, my plan will be bondo or wood filler.
I thought you were going to glue a piece of MDF in there and chamfer it like the other pieces? I guess that would mean you also have to make the side pieces again, as they'd be short with the chamfer on them.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
@JohnDean That is what I was planning until I gave the chamfer bit a go and found out how easy that is. Either way, I would not have to redo the side panels because the overall box dimensions are of my own "wing it" design anyway. Even if I had to cut 3/4" off them, the box would still be plenty big.
Tonight will be making copies of the master for top and bottom panels. While I'm at it, I may make slightly smaller copies using a rabbeting bit set to make the inner shelf panels (the chamber dividers).

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I picked up some of that woodworkers double sided tape to made copies of the master panel with using a flush trim bit on the router table. That stuff works great and I wish I discovered it years ago! No more using brads or screws and then having to fill holes!

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I got 3 or 4 different types of double sided tape. Use it mostly for re-attaching pieces as I cut things with the bandsaw.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts