AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
What is the total internal volume? 8cuft?
Yep, worked out to just about 8.5 cu ft. This thing is going in a livingroom to replace a bestbuy bought 12" Klipsch deal. It will be a gigantic upgrade from where he's at, especially once a couple of 1099s replace his cheapie Polk towers.

·
Registered
19,671 Posts
Thanks guys. For this build I had to pick up Jasper’s large size circle jig. Works great, just like the smaller one. Once I figure out which pin hole I need to use for the desired diameter, I use a sharpie to circle and label the hole, such as “UM18”.
View attachment 3077343
For the driver recesses, since it takes multiple steps, I circle the pin hole and label them in order 1, 2, 3, etc. Makes it quick to setup for multiple baffles.
@MKtheater A set of Forstner bits are a must have for Speakon and things. Way faster than messing with rabbet bits.
I have bits, probably not enough, but no drill press. I always liked the sonosub.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
I have a HF drill press, but i rarely use it though.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I have a HF drill press, but i rarely use it though.
When I got my big Grizzly, I didn’t use it all that often the first couple years. Now I find myself using it pretty often for all kinds of things like attaching a wire wheel and cleaning bolt threads or polishing metal.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Your sonosubs are going to blend in perfect with your other "Curvy" designs(y)

Reactions: dtsdig

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Killer job, easily the nicest looking sonotube sub I have seen. I love that veneer you chose.

-Trevor
After having just gone through your massive speaker building thread, that means a lot coming from you! All of your woodworking projects look absolutely amazing and that must be one heck of a shop!

·
Registered
19,671 Posts
I work in a dusty old basement, your room looks like a living room in comparison, very nice. I am glad you are making a sonosub, I have always like them better than box subs just in ease of getting it right. I always wanted to try a PVC sono but the prices get crazy and not needed. Still have the SI drivers and amp? I really want hear the 1099s some day.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
I gotta say, this sub is going to be hard to let go of when it get's sent off to my brother's house. It would look nice in my livingroom!
Oh yeah, that's right. You won't be keeping these...building these for your brother. Lucky him.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I work in a dusty old basement, your room looks like a living room in comparison, very nice. I am glad you are making a sonosub, I have always like them better than box subs just in ease of getting it right. I always wanted to try a PVC sono but the prices get crazy and not needed. Still have the SI drivers and amp? I really want hear the 1099s some day.
When I am able to put my garage into full woodworking mode, it is a pretty sweet setup. I am lucky in that all the walls and ceiling are insulated and drywalled and there is living space above it. We had a new insulated garage door installed a couple years ago and it seals up nice. I installed a 7500 watt heater on the ceiling in a back corner and can work out there in a T-shirt all winter long.
I do still have all the SI HT's, the 6 I bought new and the 6 I got from you! All but 2 are sitting in storage waiting for a future basement theater. The inuke I got from you has been in use to power a 12" Dayton reference HO in a ported box in my garage (was a sub I built for a car I got rid of). Does a great job there.

@johnson636 That's ok though. I still like my 1099s better than what his will be! lol

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Looks great! Love the veneer.

At first when I saw the picture of the enclosure sitting on the sub I thought you might be mounting them inverted to show off the drivers! Could still do that on the top one and just wire it out of phase with the bottom driver. Maybe deliver it that way just to see your brothers reaction!

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I just realized these fibre drums up to a size of 200 litres are for sale here in the UK as well. This can be very handy considering Sonotubes are impossible to find.

How did you separate the metal from the fibre cylinder, did you pry it off or just cut as close as possible?

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
How did you separate the metal from the fibre cylinder, did you pry it off or just cut as close as possible?
Oh, there is no prying them. The fiber is squeezed into the metal ring when the ring is pressed to it's final form, if that makes sense. The rings have to be cut off. I took two of my big Bessey clamps and clamped them to the back rail on my table saw to use as guides to "roll" the drum against. I had my fence set so that I was only cutting the metal rings off. Turned the saw on and carefully moved the drum into the blade then my wife helped me roll the barrel towards me completing the cut. Same thing for the other end. Somehow, we did manage to allow the bottom edge of the drum to move away from the fence on the second cut resulting in an uneven spiral cut. I had to readjust the fence and take another inch or so off to make a new even cut.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
That makes sense and that cutting approach should be fairly easy to replicate.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
If I had to do it over again, I would build some kind of structure to set the barrel into so that it could not move front to back or axially at all. It could only spin inside of the structure. I do recommend these fiber tubes though, the smooth sides make them nice for veneering (or painting or whatever) and was cheaper than an actual Sonotube concrete form tube which would have been $120 for a 12 foot length locally.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I will keep that in mind.

How thick are the tube walls?

21 - 40 of 49 Posts