AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy holidays to you all! One thing that I am thankful for this week is the pair of Concentric-8 kits that showed up at my door today. :) I'm also grateful for my lovely wife who loves music so much that she supports the purchases of more subs and more speakers than any of our friends' houses have combined. I am guessing many of you can relate! Just look at this beast! It is a really nice driver and super beefy for an 8"er. As always, props to @Erich H for his masterful packaging and fast shipping!

So this thread is just a placeholder for now as she doodles up some ridiculously challenging design that she would like to see created for these speakers. Just like with how the design of my curved subs and curved 1099s went, this process will be a lot of her drawing things and then me telling her that those shapes aren't possible with wood and then her drawing some more until finally we come up with something reasonable for a novice woodworker like myself to pull off. :p

They will be used in a 2 channel music system along with one of my SI HT-18 (V1) subs that I have laying around in boxes.
@mtg90 or others, I could use some recommendations on cabinet volume and tuning to get these to play nicely at close to full range if possible, knowing that I'll also be running them with a sub in the end. Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got one crossover put together last night with some milled boards I bought from mtg90. Excellent product, as always. I'm hoping to put together the second one tonight and solder both of them up.

Attachments

·
Registered
608 Posts
Good luck!
Good wife!

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, both crossovers are soldered up and ready to go. Amazingly, my wife has suggested we go simple so that we can put these to use sooner rather than later! I am still thinking of making them interesting somehow, and they'll still get veneered, but they may not be some curvy madness. I'm anxious to hear these! Hoping to pick up some MDF this week and proceed with the build using my tracksaw since I still can't power up my table saw in this garage (yet).

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
since I still can't power up my table saw in this garage (yet).
I feel your pain. It took me almost a year to get the subpanel put in my garage after I moved. You could make a dryer plug adapter. Didn't you make a nice 240v extension cord a couple years ago?;)

I really wanted to try a pair of these, but I'm afraid I'd want more and be unable to get them.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I feel your pain. It took me almost a year to get the subpanel put in my garage after I moved. You could make a dryer plug adapter. Didn't you make a nice 240v extension cord a couple years ago?;)

I really wanted to try a pair of these, but I'm afraid I'd want more and be unable to get them.
That is a good idea but I’d end up spending so much time getting the extension through the wall from the garage to where the dryer is, I’d be stupid to not just run the sub-panel service cable instead. Ugh, I really need to move that project up on the priority list.

I do wonder how many pairs of Concentrics Erich has left.

·
Registered
6,307 Posts
I do wonder how many pairs of Concentrics Erich has left.
Availability on the DIYSoundGroup site says "Out of Stock"

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Finally getting started!

After a very long wait, I finally got a chance to do a little work on these this weekend. I made a few sketches then settled on a design. I won't be doing curves this time around, but I will be challenged with some complex angles. Once I had a sketch that I liked, I drew it out on a sheet of MDF. My track saw was the perfect tool to make all of these initial cuts.

I made one "master" side and then rough cut the other 3 based on that first one. The next step will be to flush trim these 3 on the router table using the master as the template so that I have 4 identical pieces.

This is the profile of the sides. I am holding it at a slight rearward tilt as that is how it will be oriented on the "stands" when completed.

I am pretty nervous about figuring out all the angles and somehow joining everything together but it will be good practice which I'm going to need when I start my brothers 1099 towers which will be crazy trapezoidal madness cabinets.
The reason I am designing these Concentrics to tilt back a bit is that they'll be used for music on our main floor in a hangout space that will eventually have a pool table in it. Nobody will be sitting down listening to them, they'll be used to fill the house with sound. Our house is a 4 level split where all floors share open space with the main floor where these speakers will be. Having speakers in this room easily fills the whole house with sound because of the design. I wish I could describe it effectively, but I can't. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Ok, I got to spend a little bit of time on these in the last week amid the piles of other projects. First, I purchased a couple of angle measuring tools that made all of these angled cuts so much easier.
Digital angle finder rule:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00563TM32/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And this thing which I had been wanting for a long time:
Wixey digital angle gauge:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T6YZ0K6/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After a couple hours, here's the pile ready to assemble:

Used the router table to do the flush trim on the 3 other sides based off my "master" side.

Used the Jasper jig to route out the holes and recesses for the Precision Ports.

Assembly was a snap. I just glued, brad nailed and moved on. Incredibly, all of my cuts and angles were right on which made putting one together go very quickly.

Port location:

Speaker location:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Paid a visit to one of the local lumber shops to snag up some boards to make into veneer!
That's curly cherry on the left that I'll use on the baffles, tops and bottoms and (of course) some gorgeous walnut on the right that will go on the sides.

I am very anxious to try out this guy! A 1" carbide tipped Laguna resaw blade that I waited over 2 months for through Woodcraft because of a "clerical error" they made on my order.

Should be a pretty sweet resawing experience.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lookin good! What's the plan to raise them off the floor?
I haven’t quite figured that out yet. I did originally think they were going to be towers, but with the space they’re going in, I wasn’t sure about taking up real estate of the floor.
They may be on some kind of stands, or they may get wall mounted.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Great to see progress on this build. Those enclosures will be gorgeous! I can't wait to here your report of how they sound. I have a bunch of these kits awaiting theater construction for surround and Atmos placement.

Mike
Thanks, man! I will definitely report back when I fire them up!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts