AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the right place to post this. If not, admins feel free to delete it and send me a PM.

I am considering picking up one of these DTV boxes that can be purchased with the $40 coupons. I want to avoid wasting my time taking a box back if it won't do what I want though.

A little back story. My wife and I are tired of paying for our expensive cable package. We have an HD DVR box from comcast. We have decided we can live without DVR. We can also live without a lot of the programming that we get because we don't really watch anything other than regular local network station and she likes to watch TLC and HGTV.

I have 52" toshiba HD ready television. It's an awesome television. Has great picture. HDMI port. Everything. It just doesn't have a digital tuner built in. I know my father-in-law can get the local stations in HD with his true HDTV over regular comcast cable without a box. (QAM)

So my question is, will I be able to get these stations with one of these DTV boxes? I did see one in particular at a local target that said it could do High Def. I'm a little concerned though because it only has coax and composite hookups. Will I be able to get high def over the coax connection? I'm a little concerned about the dtv boxes because they all look very cheap and like they were just thrown together by companies so they could try and get the $40 from govt. + an extra $10 - $20 from us.

Again, just a reminder, I realize I won't be able to get ESPN HD and some of those channels in HD. But I can live with those in SD. If I can get my local channels in HD then goodbye overpriced Comcast HD PVR rental box.

·
Registered
17,745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smergs /forum/post/15527342

Not sure if this is the right place to post this. If not, admins feel free to delete it and send me a PM.

I have 52" toshiba HD ready television. It's an awesome television. Has great picture. HDMI port. Everything. It just doesn't have a digital tuner built in. I know my father-in-law can get the local stations in HD with his true HDTV over regular comcast cable without a box. (QAM)

So my question is, will I be able to get these stations with one of these DTV boxes? I did see one in particular at a local target that said it could do High Def. I'm a little concerned though because it only has coax and composite hookups. Will I be able to get high def over the coax connection? I'm a little concerned about the dtv boxes because they all look very cheap and like they were just thrown together by companies so they could try and get the $40 from govt. + an extra $10 - $20 from us.

Again, just a reminder, I realize I won't be able to get ESPN HD and some of those channels in HD. But I can live with those in SD. If I can get my local channels in HD then goodbye overpriced Comcast HD PVR rental box.

The correct forum for your message is the HDTV Technical forum, as this thread is about technical issues related to what channels the various TV stations operate on.

However, the coupon boxes WILL NOT supply HD to your TV. They are SD only. For HD, you will need a box like the Samsung DTB-H260F. If you decide you still want a DVR, the DTVPal DVR is available for $250 and will work with OTA only.

I hope that helps.

- Trip

·
Premium Member
10,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smergs /forum/post/15527342

You won't be able to get ANY of the cable-type channels, including TLC and HGTV. Those are not available over-the-air. All you are going to be able to get (depending on where you live) are ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, The CW and MNTV (My Network TV).

That said, the CECB (Coupon Eligible Converter Box) DTV boxes that you have been looking are ONLY, I repeat ONLY, for obtaining (H)DTV for the old analog TV sets/VCRs. They are NOT for HD ready monitors. For that you need a more expensive STB (SetTop Box) ATSC tuner that has outputs for digital monitors. They'll have outputs for analog TVs as well, but will have what you need for HD monitors.

There are threads here for those STBs. I do not know which ones, as I already have STBs and other DTV capabilites.

EDIT: Figures, Trip just beat me to the response

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for replying to my post even though I posted it in the wrong place.

Also, about channels such as TLC and HGTV, I realize they wouldn't come over the air. I was still planning to keep regular comcast just not the digital box. I may just go out and buy an HD PVR that has a tuner built in. I think if I want to save on my monthly bill and still get what I am wanting that might be my best bet.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smergs /forum/post/15528354

Thanks guys for replying to my post even though I posted it in the wrong place.

Also, about channels such as TLC and HGTV, I realize they wouldn't come over the air. I was still planning to keep regular comcast just not the digital box. I may just go out and buy an HD PVR that has a tuner built in. I think if I want to save on my monthly bill and still get what I am wanting that might be my best bet.

You should still check with the cable company first to see what will and won't be available to you if you use your own HD tuner. On most cable systems, most digital channels are encrypted so that no one's box but the cable company's can get them.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,723 Posts
Posts split and topic created in correct forum.

·
Registered
17,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smergs /forum/post/15528354

You might want to consider looking for something like a used LG LST-3210A.

There's also the TiVoHD with lifetime subscription.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,723 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo /forum/post/15527469

All you are going to be able to get (depending on where you live) are ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, The CW and MNTV (My Network TV).

Don't forget PBS.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts