AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally decided to try out dTV with my old WinTV Go card. I know it only provides composite input, but I wanted to try it anyway to see how the program performs and how much noise I could expect from my setup.

Well, I was mainly interested in seeing how well it could perform using my stand alone DVD player as input (a Sony DVP-S550D). I had no problems installing the dTV software, but once I got it running, I noticed these horizontal lines spaced regularly up/down the screen. I immediately thought to adjust the BDelay value (the purple macrovision fix), but no value seemed to eliminate them. I can make the "purple" color dissappear, but the lines remain at all BDelay settings. By the way, the tuner input does not exhibit these lines. It's a little noisy, but the lines are not there.

So my question is what are my options? I want to buy a new capture card with S-video input, but I don't want to waste time/money if the new card is going to exhibit the same problem as my current card.

My system:

Pentium III 800EB

CUSL2 MB

128 SDRAM

40 GB hard drive

HiPix

SBLive 5.1

Netgear 10/100BaseT NIC

Toshiba 1402 DVD-ROM

Thanks in advance,

Dino

[This message has been edited by DMILANI (edited 05-06-2001).]

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
My WinTV PCI FM has these lines when using the built in Tuner and my OTA PAL source...

Nothing I can do (BDelay etc) makes them go away but can alter them.... I suspect RF may be an issue but cannot isolate the culprit..

I now use an outboard Tuner (SVHS Deck) for clearer / better results and am happy...

------------------

[email protected]
HTPC without using windows... GUI Front Ends for Home Theater

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but my problem is just the opposite. I only observe the lines with the composite input from DVD, not the tuner.

Dino

·
Registered
686 Posts
Dino,

I use a Pixelview Play TV Pro, bt878 chipset. On some backgrounds, filled with almost a single colour (ex, a shot of spoace, all black with a few stars) I notice some moving horizontal stripes.

On my setup, I traced the problem to the inputs of the card: I select one input, but if the other one is receiving a signal too, I see these lines. Ex: Svideo selected for Laserdisc, but Composite is receiving a signal via the VCR's tuner. There seems to be some interference between inputs, I guess it's some sort of buffering (or lack of)on the capture card that causes this. This may seem strange, but I do see this effect. Even though your card only has comp in, maybe the tuner is receiving interference via this input?

Solution: When watching a source, I "power off" the other, so I never have two active sources on my system.

regards, RC

[This message has been edited by Ricardo Cruz (edited 05-06-2001).]

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ricardo,

These are not "moving" lines, but evenly spaced horizontal lines that are purple in color for some BDelay settings. I can adjust the BDelay to make the purple color dissappear, but the lines remain.

These are only present with an external DVD player on the composite input (I haven't tried another source on the composite input yet). These lines are not visible on the DVD menu screens (not macrovisioned?) but only during the movie itself.

Dino

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, in case anyone is interested, I seem to have solved the problem. I bought a new WinTV 401 with S-Video input and the lines problem went away. Plus, in general, it's not as noisy as the WinTV GO was. I'm very impressed now - with my Sony DVD player as input, it's looking very much like PowerDVD/WinDVD. I haven't had time to adjust the picture for color or black level yet.

Thanks to all those that helped.

Dino

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.