AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
comment:

your, and only your, eyes will know what looks best to you.

you should see these things for yourself before plunking down your hard-earned cash.

there are a lot of variables, including how you intend to drive the PDP, and whether or not you need upgradability, and digital video, and all sorts of gunk like that.

doody.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Keep in mind that NEC will be introducing the 50MP2 shortly, and it is supposed to have better black levels and improved FC performance.

NEC also is showing the 42MP3 which is a noticeable improvement over the 42MP2.

Pete

·
Registered
198 Posts
I hung my NEC 50MP1 on the wall yesterday and hooked it up to my DirecTV, DVD, cable, and VHS player and all I can say is WOW. So far no complaints. It has an awesome picture.

That's a great price at $6352.76

Just a month ago this display was selling for $10,800 at Dell (no discounts applied.)

The NEC has a few more features than the Panny (namely DVI input, which I will be using when I finish my HTPC), as well as the obviously lower price. The black levels IMHO look great on the NEC, and the colors are very vibrant as well. I haven't seen the Panny to compare it to however.

IF you can possibly compare the two side by side it would be great, but otherwise you will have to trust other opinions such as mine. I don't think you would go wrong getting the NEC for $6352.76 from Dell.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I was able to do an entirely un-scientific viewing of these two, along with the older Pioneer 502 in Tokyo this weekend - - side by side on the same Japanese HD signal.

Both the NEC and the Panny looked GREAT. By itself, the Pioneer would have seemed very nice too, but compared with the others, it suffered from a slight, but noticable fine graininess in many areas, both light and dark. It looked like some sort of scaling artifact, but not with any contouring edges. Also, the Pioneer had some red push, but maybe this was just bad adjustment.

Both the Panny and the NEC picteres were silky smooth with superb detail and very subtle, natural color. After watching a variety of program material, I might have had a tiny preference for the Panny, but it was REAL close.

I didn't have a chance to see them with DVD or SD OTA material. Maybe that would be a tie-breaker. Otherwise, it would probably be price.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Thanks Jeff!

When you researched this, were you concerned about any poor black levels or false countouring on this unit? I assume that's the case since this is a first generation plasma and we all know they were all plagued by that.

Have you seen the unit? What do you think?

Luca

·
Registered
148 Posts
Luca,

That was basically my concern with this unit, I've never seen one in person to compare and there's not that much in this forum about this display. The only unit basically that I've seen was the Pioneer 502, Pro 1000, Panasonic 42" and 50", Sampo, Sony and Philips here in the Bay Area (northern Cal). Although the comparison review from PlasmaTvBuying guide sounded exellent ( http://*******************.com/plasm...ec-pan-50.html ) it wasn't enough to convince me to buy one even with Dell's excellent price.

Based from reading here, I was also concerned about the Nec being first generation with all the associate "bugs" with it.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally posted by propeller_beach
Thanks Jeff!

When you researched this, were you concerned about any poor black levels or false countouring on this unit? I assume that's the case since this is a first generation plasma and we all know they were all plagued by that.

Have you seen the unit? What do you think?

Luca

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Phil Putnam's 10/01 review of the NEC 50MP1 is in emedialive.com I had no trouble accessing the site yesterday, but did today. If you do, do a google search of NEC 50MP1, and when you come to the emedialive site, just click on Cached to read it. Pretty favorable except for not the best contrast and some false contouring. Way better than the older NEC.

Important: According to NEC's site, the table stand for the 50MP1 is PX-50MX1U-ST, which Dell does not carry. Dell does carry the PX-42VP1U-ST which is the table stand for NEC 42" and the 50DP1 and 50DP2.

Those two 50" sets have identical dimensions to the 50MP1, so it appears that stand may work for the 50MP1. Does anyone know for sure if the Dell carried table stand will work for the 50MP1? Please answer ASAP! Time is running out!

If you order thru Dell, you also get free shipping and handling today. Don't let them charge you for it.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I think I'll pass :(

Price is as attractive as I have ever seen it for 50" plasmas, and it has got DVI which I most definitely want. But I bet after a couple of days I just couldn't live with the thought and sight of 160:1 contrast ratio or false countouring. Knowing me, I would feel so stupid I wish I hadn't bought it.

Oh the price we pay for being videophiles! :D

Luca

·
Registered
198 Posts
propeller_beach,

The contrast ratio on the 50MP1 I have is 550:1, I'm not sure where the 160:1 figure came from. And I have seen no false conturing on mine yet....but perhaps I haven't watched enough TV on it yet. I love it and you can't go wrong at Dell's very cheap discounted price.

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
The NEC actually measures 160:1 contrast. 550:1 is a marketing gimmick, just like Panasonic's 3000:1 contrast claim (their latest panels really measure about 500-600:1).

Based on the inflated claims, I predict the NEC 42MP3, which purports to be 1500:1 contrast, will actually clock in around 400:1.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.