AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live about 20 miles from 8 stations I now receive fairly well,although,since I have many tall trees,the reception varies in windy and stormy weather.What are your recommendations for the best dtv converter for receiving and holding stations in this type of fringe area? I don't care about program guides and other features,with the exception of a good signal strength system,which I would like to have.I am also interested in long term reliability,as the forum's top rated Zenith DTT901 seems to have many reliability problems,if you look at the reviews from sites that sell it.My main TV uses an attic antenna,and my kitchen TV uses rabbit ears. Thanks for any help you can give me. 5/26/2009 I purchased a Zinwell ZAT-950A and a Channel Master CM-7000.The Zinwell is much more cheaply made than the Channel Master,and drops out much more than the Channel master.I installed a ANTENNAS DIRECT DB4 digital antenna with a WINEGARD AP-8700 pre-amplifier in my attic.Both of the converters have some dropouts when the wind blows the trees that surround my house,but the Channel Master is MUCH better.

·
Registered
168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford1953jimav /forum/post/15447786

I live about 20 miles from 8 stations I now receive fairly well,although,since I have many tall trees,the reception varies in windy and stormy weather.What are your recommendations for the best dtv converter for receiving and holding stations in this type of fringe area? I don't care about program guides and other features,with the exception of a good signal strength system,which I would like to have.I am also interested in long term reliability,as the forum's top rated Zenith DTT901 seems to have many reliability problems,if you look at the reviews from sites that sell it.My main TV uses an attic antenna,and my kitchen TV uses rabbit ears. Thanks for any help you can give me.

I'm about as far as you from the transmission and in the mountains with an in the attic antenna.

Getting great results with the Venturer (by RCA) 7766G1 from Target. Really small, OK features, analog pass through, and remote from Dollar Tree works basic functions (code #205). You can buy one at retail and try it. If you like it, return that one within 90 days and buy one with a coupon.

Also good success with Zinwell ZAT-950A.

Have a Channel Master CM-7000 that performs well but is buggy, big, and the company doesn't stand behind it. Should be a better unit and the company is a big disappointment.

Tried a Zenith and it was OK. Not better than the Venturer or Zinwell in my location and more money.

JMO... YMMV

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Well, give up on the Rabbit ears (and maybe the attic and move the antenna outside) and things should work better.

I'm at 23 miles, in a hole on a forest, and most reception is pretty good. That said - enough wind (which NC doesn't usually get much of) will take out my DTV reception due to all the trees and leaves moving.

·
Registered
779 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford1953jimav /forum/post/15447786

I live about 20 miles from 8 stations I now receive fairly well,although,since I have many tall trees,the reception varies in windy and stormy weather.What are your recommendations for the best dtv converter for receiving and holding stations in this type of fringe area? I don't care about program guides and other features,with the exception of a good signal strength system,which I would like to have.I am also interested in long term reliability,as the forum's top rated Zenith DTT901 seems to have many reliability problems,if you look at the reviews from sites that sell it.My main TV uses an attic antenna,and my kitchen TV uses rabbit ears. Thanks for any help you can give me.

i my opinion 20 miles is far from what would be termed fringe.

my experience with zenith and most of all i've heard rates it a good box. any box will have a few complaints and complaints are the most frequent things people put in reviews.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
At 23 miles, your biggest problem is using the right antenna. DTV reception isn't as easy as analog.

Fringe areas are considered beyond 40 miles, deep fringe is 60 miles, and extreme deep fringe is 70+ miles.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My Insignia converter box works well and is much better for weak signals than my RCA DTA800B1 and slightly better than my Alpha Digital AT2016. The Insignia is available at Best Buy and is identical to the Zenith.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am new to the thread, but need some help.

We have just purchased a memorex converter box. We have a small metal shop that we have this TV in. We also have a police radio scanner.

When we turn the converter box on, you kill the signal to the scanner.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced any such problem. We are most certain this is the cause. We have turned it on, in the middle of a scanner conversation numerous times, and it kills the transmission each time.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Try moving the scanner or CECB, or you can try a different CECB.

·
Registered
300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by systems2000 /forum/post/15453501

And try replacing the scanner's antenna with a coaxial cable-fed outside antenna.

·
Registered
300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by systems2000 /forum/post/15453501

If you do try a different CECB, go for one with an all-metal case. Heck, since it's in a metal shop, why not make a sheet metal faraday cage and put the CECB inside of that?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts