AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I am completely, totally, utterly lost (as usual, with this TV/Dish/DVDR stuff). I am trying to find out what I need to get all 5 TVs ready for the DTV change, but the more I read the less it makes sense. I don't understand AV things at all. Bought a DVR with hd last May and never was able to figure it out. I use computers all day long and installed my own Dish Network system on the roof with detailed directions, but am just not understanding all this. Might as well be reading Swahili.

What I have:
  • 2 10 year old TVs hooked to Dish Network Two-TV DVR system with models 311 and 3900 Dish boxes (but NOT receiving local channels through the satellite box). We manually switch between satellite and local channels. We DO NOT want to subscribe to local channels through Dish. If possible, we want to add a converter box that will pull in the channels when we watch local channels.
  • 3 2-8 year old TVs without satellite service.
  • Philips DVDR3576H/37 (player/recorder w/hd) which I want to use on one of the TVs on satellite. Never have been able to figure out how to use it even with current setup.
  • Samsung DVD-5500 (player only)

Where I want to end up:
  • 2 10 year old TVs with both Dish satellite and also converter box for when we manually turn off the satellite box to switch to local channels. 1 of those TVs needs to be able to record on both satellite and local channels to Phillips DVD, preferably while I watch other channels but not sure if thats possible. The other TV needs to have the DVD player hooked up to it.
  • 3 2-8 year old TVs with converter boxes only. I need to add capability for recording to DVD/hd to 2 of them.

So what do I need to buy other than 2 new DVDRs?
Do I need to buy a higher-end digital TV converters to handle this?

I have 2 coupons for DTV converter boxes but not sure if those will apply to anything but basic crappy boxes with limited future options. I read the faq on the coupons, but again, it's just not making sense because I'm on overload.
How does someone like myself get all this installed and working if they aren't able to understand it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejayrock /forum/post/15537029

Do your newer TV's have Digital tuners in them? What TV do you have your DVD Recorder hooked up to?

None of the TVs have digital tuners - all are old box-type TVs.

The DVDR is not hooked up to anything, but need to hook it up to the TV with the main Dish receiver. Never could get it work. Spent days reading and re-reading info, on phone with tech support, and even had friends look at it and couldn't figure it out. Tried several times since then but I just don't understand it at all. Less stress going to the dentist.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks - I have read through those and am more confused than ever. Seriously, chest is constricting from the stress of trying to figure this out again. It's like I'm reading a foreign language. I literally spent days just trying to get the DVDR to work with the TV and Dish setup and never did figure it out. Now I'm trying to figure out a lot more than that and none of it makes sense. Extremely overwhelmed.

Is there some sort of company that will help figure out what's needed, install it, and make sure it's working? Or even a company that will help over the phone?

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Is there a Best Buy close by ? Their Geek Squad should be able to help you.

As far as Digital TV converters - you need 1 for each TV - yes the cheapies are what your coupons are for. Buy 2 with the coupons and 3 full price.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I agree, the geek squad is a good bet if you have a best buy in the area. Alternatively, if you have a friend that enjoys this sort of thing, perhaps they would be willing to assist or do it all?

·
Registered
897 Posts
The main difference between a DVDR and a VCR, which most people understand (I assume you understand VCR's which is needed for this to make any sense) is the RF OUT. The DVDRs do NOT send anything from the RF OUT connection. The RF OUT contains the SAME Signal as the RF in. The only way to view what is recorded on the DVDR HD or play a DVD is to connect the composite, S-Video, component or HDMI OUT from the DVDR to the TV. A composite connection requires the yellow video cable and at least one audio cable connection. These connections are called RCA jacks or Phono Jacks for old timers. I realize that the only output you likely have is the single composite input. Many of the older TV sets only have RF inputs. A RF modulator is required to connect a DVDR to an TV which only has an RF input. These can be purchased at your neighborhood WalMart. A VCR can also be used as a modulator if it has composite inputs. The TV is then set to channel 3 or 4 to receive the signal from the modulator/VCR. The input to the modulator or VCR is the composite video and two (right and left) audio cables from the DVDR.

In all cases the antenna is connected to the DVDR RF in.

If you have a TV without a composite connection you need an splitter (two in-one out going to the TV RF input) with its two inputs connected to the the modulator connected to the DVDR and the DTV receiver RF output. The modulator would be set to ch 3 and the DTV rec. set to ch 4. This should work satisfactorily if OTA ch 3 or ch4 are not too strong. If you have a third device to connect to the TV an RF switch would have to be added. If the TV has a composite input you can connect the DVDR to the TV using that input and connect the DTV rec. using the RF input on the TV. Again a third device may require a switch.

If the antenna connection comes from the DTV rec. then that has to be connected to the DVDR RF in and only the modulator for the DVDR is required for a TV with only an RF input.

I am afraid this hasn't helped but I hope it has.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,719 Posts
Topic moved.

·
Registered
419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwidget /forum/post/15537572

Thanks - I have read through those and am more confused than ever. Seriously, chest is constricting from the stress of trying to figure this out again. It's like I'm reading a foreign language. I literally spent days just trying to get the DVDR to work with the TV and Dish setup and never did figure it out. Now I'm trying to figure out a lot more than that and none of it makes sense. Extremely overwhelmed.

Is there some sort of company that will help figure out what's needed, install it, and make sure it's working? Or even a company that will help over the phone?

RE: Philips DVDR3576H/37 (player/recorder w/hd) which I want to use on one of the TVs on satellite. Never have been able to figure out how to use it even with current setup.

On hooking up your sat /cable boxes, or HD-Tuner.. just think of them in the same way as the tuner "in" your TV, except it's in a box that sits on top of your TV.

(STB's=Set-Top-Boxes)

Ditto on ATSC CECB STB Converter boxes for the Digital TV transition to occur Feb17-2009- Think of them as a "replacement tuner" for the NTSC tuner in your TV's (or VCR)

BTW: As previously posted Wajo is very helpful...

That said BEFORE posting read thru the below link

Basic System Connections

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...9&postcount=10

Below might help, credit to Wajo:

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Now you're going to get gwidget's heart racing again ...

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
You can also think of the CECB as an old-time cable STB. The type that the cable company would supply and you'd set your television to channel 3 or 4. you would then push the button of the cable company supplied STB to get channel you wanted.

Remember those.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you so much for all the great replies. You guys are really helpful! Unfortunately, I have some mental block when it comes to all this and don't understand even the most basic wording so it's like reading a foreign language. I deal with computers all day long and fairly proficient there - everyone's tech support person. (btw, had BAD experiences with Geek Squad - killed a hard drive and lied about it, I had to use disaster recovery service, so they cost me $2200. Also have heard lots of incorrect info from them so don't trust them at all.) I installed the Dish setup on the roof by myself with little difficulty other than ice and subzero winds. But for some reason can't understand even apparently basic stuff when it comes to hooking these AV things together and using them.

I called Phillips tech support and luckily got an excellent guy who knew what he was doing and worked with me for an hour to get everything working and make sure I could use it. Or so I thought. It's VERY complicated to use for someone who isn't into AV stuff and just wants something like a VCR for DTV and satellite (which apparently doesn't exist). Hassle when you don't subscribe to local channels thru your satellite service, too. It was all working together and did a few trial recordings to hd. Then recorded the season opener of Battlestar Gallactica and just discovered it's not on the hd so guess its not working right. Really disgusted on that - wanted to record the whole season. Also want to record a lot of inauguration events so hope to God I can get this thing to work completely. I have 2 pages of notes for every little activity and find using it a nightmare. I want something as easy as a VCR but guess those days are gone.

Next step is to try to recording again, and get that from hd to DVD. And hopefully find a universal remote . Having to use both the Phillips and the Dish remote sucks.

Anyway, thanks for all your replies - I appreciate the time and expertise even if it's completely over my head. I know it seems easy to all of you but it's pure hell to some of us. Hope to God there's a 2nd generation of these things coming. I was going to buy another one of these for my parents but theres no way in hell they can ever figure out how to use it if I cant. Very discouraged.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Imagine your television as not having a tuner. Just set it for channel 3 or 4, then you use the input button as a channel changer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No, setting it to 3 or 4 doesn't work. It has to be on aux, and there's a lot more involved in using it than just changing channels. Long story, and I can't explain, but the aux channel issue is what the tech support guy figured out over an hour+ on the phn on Friday. And it did record fine at that time. This apparently is not a standard setup so even the advanced support guy had to do a lot of trial and error.

I'm going to call back tomorrow to troubleshoot more. I have to have someone walk through step by step on the phone because I can't understand any of this and it doesn't matter how many times I read it. I really HATE HATE HATE this damn thing. I've wasted at least 30-some hours on it since 1st try last summer and STILL unable to use it. Really mad about missing the first Battlestar Galactica of the season. HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE IT.
And still have 2 more TVs (with different setups) to equip and set up for dtv and recording.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
For older televisions and VCR's, you will need a CECB for each TV and VCR. Place the CECB before the Antenna "IN" of each device. Set those devices to channel 3 (or 4) and then, all your tuning will be with the CECB's.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
So, you're telling me that all this stress is worth more than the cost of subscribing to the locals via Dish?

Make your life simple - get the locals for the 2 TVs with Dish.

Get 2 DVDrs for the other 2 TVs and one CECB for the last TV.

Done.... until you get a real HDTV.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently hooked a dtv converter box up to my tv through my dish 522 receiver. I also have a tv with twin screen feature. When i first hooked them up i could watch both the dish feed and the dtv feeds at the same time. The next morning i had to turn off the dish signle to wath the dtv signle, which is making my twin screen feature useless. I can't figure out why it worked one day and not the next. The dish feed seems to be going both to channel 4 and input 1. Changing the dish to channel 3 doesn't help. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
You need to connect your CECB directly to the television.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts