AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying a Hughes E86 receiver and ABT wants to charge $299 for installation. Seems a little pricey. Can I do the installation myself? Are there installation companies in the Chicago area that are cheaper? If I can do it myself is there a step by step process that I can print out and follow. I am relatively handy, but, I've heard that this can be quite tricky.

Any help would be appreciated,

SW

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
If you consider yourself handy, and are unfazed by things like replacing a light switch and installing a set of shelves, you can probably do it, assuming it isn't too hard to find a location with line-of-sight to the satellite from your house.

This also assumes you have a decent assortment of tools. For myself I can't undertand how any homeowner can surive without owning hand tools, a cordless drill, etc., but I know some relatives who barely own a screwdriver!

I have Dish rather than Direct. Before I got my receiver I went to the Dish website to download the installation manuals and gave them a once-over. The Direct website probably has the same information.

------------------

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.

See http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

·
Registered
780 Posts
I installed my own oval dish and it was surprisingly easy. The important part is to mount the vertical pole that the dish attaches to securely and absolutely plumb. Then set the elevation, azimuth and tilt to the settings your E86 will give you when you tell it your dish type and zip code. Elevation and tilt can be done on the ground when you assemble the dish. Then just tweak for peak signal on both satellites (119 will be lower strength than 101), lock everything down and you're done.

Tony

·
Registered
730 Posts
I concur. Installing my 2 dish system from Dish Network was *much* easier than I anticipated. Before you get started, be sure to figure out where you will mount your dish . . . you need line of sight to the satellite from that location and you need to run a coax from that location to your receiver & TV. Here is a site that gives you compass direction and inclination to various satellites: http://www.dbsdish.com/Support/Point.htm

The only mistake I made was to lug up my 30" TV onto the roof to do the satellite pointing. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif I should have just left it on the ground and looked down on it. Or, a helper would have been nice.

·
Registered
24 Posts
LOL! dagman I wish I could have driven past your house and seen you on your roof with a 30" TV! Not making fun of you, the same thought crossed my mind (but with a 10" TV) but that is truly a funny image.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Its not that funny; I always take my 13" with me. 30" does sound a little heavy thought. Uhhhhh!

I concur it is pretty simple but remember the most important thing you must do is to intall the post PLUMB!!

I always take a level with me and set it across the top and take several reading at different clock settings.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Dohrn:
LOL! dagman I wish I could have driven past your house and seen you on your roof with a 30" TV! Not making fun of you, the same thought crossed my mind (but with a 10" TV) but that is truly a funny image.
OK, I exagerrated a little, I think it was a 27" TV. But I did temporarily dislocate a shoulder while turning my shoulders to put it on the roof. I let out quite the large scream, but luckily I didn't drop the TV.

I do live near busy intersection and the install was done during rush-hour. So, I did have lots of people looking up at me wondering why I was on my roof watching TV.

As far as having the mount plumb, do your best but it doesn't have to be perfectly plumb. That just helps to initially find the satellite. Once you have the satellite signal, you then move the dish around to get the best signal.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dagman:
I do live near busy intersection and the install was done during rush-hour. So, I did have lots of people looking up at me wondering why I was on my roof watching TV.

I could just see it.

passer-by: Hey Mister, why you on the roof watching TV?

dagman: The reception is better up here! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

With the Dish receiver, it makes a high pitch sound when tuning, the better the reception the higher the pitch. So all I did was turn up the sound and adjust the dish for the highest pitch sound. You could also use a small speaker to take up on the roof if you can't hear the TV.

Glenn

[This message has been edited by Glenn_L (edited 05-12-2001).]

·
Registered
301 Posts
There is one snag that has caused a little trouble for some http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif :

After you've made your adjustments to the dish on the ground, you can install it on the post. But when you go to swivel the dish to locate the satellite, try to have your clamps very snug. Having the clamps too loose at this point can give a false reading, and you might lose the signal when you finally tighten up the clamps all the way.

-Dave

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Glenn_L:

[BWith the Dish receiver, it makes a high pitch sound when tuning, the better the reception the higher the pitch. So all I did was turn up the sound and adjust the dish for the highest pitch sound. [/b]
After telling some of my friends the shoulder dislocation story, one of them pointed out how silly I was. It was along the lines of your suggestion but that wouldn't work for me since the busy street is kinda loud. What my friend said was to leave my cordless phone near the TV and then call it from my cell phone so I could hear the tone while on the roof. I used that technique to swivel the dish from the 61.5 sat to the 148 sat. I do miss the more percise numerical feedback though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Quote:
I do live near busy intersection and the install was done during rush-hour. So, I did have lots of people looking
Heh, in California, they probably didn't give it a second glance - except maybe to see if you had a gun.

You guys are missing an opportunity here - to get more toys! A set of Motorola Talkabouts works great assuming you have a partner sitting inside who can call out the strength.

I installed my oval dish myself, too. There was a trick or two such as doing an "auto config" on my Mits box to make sure the box and dish were talking together properly. Otherwise, the strength of the second satellite was not being displayed. Good luck!

------------------

Mike Saemisch

Visit our home theater here .

·
Registered
30 Posts
My experience is that the round mast has to be exactly plumb. If you can't get it with the mounting bracket, take a pry bar and insert it into the pipe and bend it until it is level on all vertical sides.

The walkie-talkies work great for doing signal strength. I duct tape down the transmit button on one and leave it by the tv speaker. I take the other one up on the roof to make the final adjustments. It works better than having someone trying to tell you which way to move the antenna, because you can hear the signal get stronger or weaker for yourself,

without bickering with your wife. Just remember, it will not tune properly if it is not level.

------------------

Ron

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.