AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been getting DTV for a year now, and have read a bunch on the various formats 480i through 720p, 4:3 or 16:9, 24fps to 60fps. But I dont understand why the networks/stations only send out one format all the time, rather then dynamically changing the format to best fit the program being aired.

For instance CBS and HBO shows everything in 1080i 16:9 60fps, which is great for stuff filmed in HD at those settings but for films why not show them in the original 24fps this would eliminate the sound sync timing problems. And If the show is an original NTSC program why not show it in 480i 4:3 60fps, especially NTSC widescreen shows where you end up with this little 16:9 image in the middle of a sea of black. This is also true for commercials, why dont the station switch to 4:3 when it's showing commercials.

If the DTV standard does not allow dynamic switching of formats, what will happen when HDTV shows go into syndication? will ABC's shows be downconverted to 1080i to play on a WB affiliate during daytime?

Is anyone actually airing anything in 24fps? maybe the new HDNET Movies station will.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.