AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read the other threads and yet more reports are coming out. Don't mean to duplicate anything but I didn't see this one reported anywhere.

Guide to Home Theater!

Dave

·
Registered
924 Posts
This has been answered by Scott at dbstalk.com, he says he has conversations with sources at D* and E* and that these internet people do not know what they are talking about... see this thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4&pagenumber=3

This issue will tell us who is full of it and who to believe!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Why do people use D* for DirecTV? It's not Direct Star, like Echostar. Haven't noticed it anywhere else but at AVS. Call it Dave people :>

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
in much computer lingo * represents "wild card". For example if you use "son*" in a serch, you would get all results that began with "son" without regard to what came next.

therefore, I feel that * has become shorthand for familiar words.

but I dont read anyother forums so how would I know?? :)

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
E* = Echostar

D* = DirecTV

DTV = Digital TV

Satellite transmissions come from above. The star (*) is likened to the stars above. It sounds pretty good to me....

Bobby C

·
Registered
135 Posts
I am not trying to dog Scott G. at all, but lately any kind of web article that has been posted on the internet or any sort of little rumor that has been brought up has been shot down by Scott. Now he may be right on some things, but I know he isn't he definitive source I mean he sure knows a hell of a lot more than half of the forum members and 100% more than me. But I don't think he should be the first and last answer of everything that comes up on the "rumor" bin. He isn't entirely right all the time either from example of ESPN-HD on E* at launch.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by James99
Why do people use D* for DirecTV?Haven't noticed it anywhere else but at AVS.
Because DTV, a common acronym for DirecTV elsewhere, is already taken here by Digital Television. The * already abbreviated Dish Network, nee Echostar, to E*, so it followed that D* was DirecTV.

Besides, Dave is already taken too, more than once. Lots more.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wt5184
I am not trying to dog Scott G. ...I don't think he should be the first and last answer of everything that comes up on the "rumor" bin. He isn't entirely right all the time either from example of ESPN-HD on E* at launch.
When it comes to this ESPN-HD subject, SOMEONE has to come in and settle things down. All it takes is ANYONE to say ANYTHING like they saw something typed on a paper or heard something at or from (Choose one)

Best Buy

Circuit City

Cable Installer

CSR from DirecTV

CSR from Dish

Showed up all of a sudden on an unknown Spanish ESPN channel

Barking dog down the street

Then comments like (Pick one)

I'm going to switch to Dish because DirecTV does not care about HD.

I'm going to switch to DirecTV because Dish does not care about HD.

I better update my equipment so I will be ready to pick up ESPN-HD the moment it comes out.

I don't want to pay more for HD content.

I would not mind paying more for HD content.

I would not mind paying, however I'll drop other programming to keep costs the same.

ESPN-HD should be at no extra because of the amount I already pay.

Barking dog chews foot off from MLB player in fabulous HD and we all get to read about it from the 4 people who were lucky enough to acually see it.

Once a rumor starts, we all get to read about 3 or more pages of speculation, additional rumors and anxiety. I'm really glad that someone takes the stand to settle things down a bit.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Here's first-hand confirmation (sorta)

I got a telemarketing call from DirecTv today. It was directed at people who are in their records as receiving HD from them. She said that D would "soon" be launching a package of new HD channels. It will require the Sat C kit, and the purpose of the call was to sell me one (I already have it.)

We chatted a bit and I asked her What channels and when, and she said they're not telling the CSRs. Just "soon."

·
Registered
710 Posts
There's that word again!

Quote:

DEFINITION of 'Real Soon Now'

From Jargon File (4.3.3, 20 Sep 2002)

Real Soon Now adv. [orig. from SF's fanzine community, popularized by

Jerry Pournelle's column in "BYTE"] 1. Supposed to be available (or

fixed, or cheap, or whatever) real soon now according to somebody, but

the speaker is quite skeptical. 2. When one's gods, fates, or other time

commitments permit one to get to it (in other words, don't hold your

breath). Often abbreviated RSN. Compare {copious free time}.

------------------------------------------------------------

Generated by dict.pyg for Pygopherd by John Goerzen

dict.pyg and Pygopherd licensed under the GPL.

Unquote.

I think this hits the nail on the head.

Don

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Quote:
Why do people use D* for DirecTV?
Part of the reason is history. Back in the early days of DBS there were several companies ending with "star" (Alphastar, Primestar, Echostar) so in the DBS related internet forums they were often referred to as A*, P*, E*, and for consistency D* for DIRECTV. After Alphastar and Primestar went away, it became more common to see E* and DTV used as abbreviations (as Ken pointed out DTV doesn't work in an HDTV forum) but some continue to use E* and D* and others have picked up on that.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wt5184
I am not trying to dog Scott G. at all, but lately any kind of web article that has been posted on the internet or any sort of little rumor that has been brought up has been shot down by Scott. Now he may be right on some things, but I know he isn't he definitive source I mean he sure knows a hell of a lot more than half of the forum members and 100% more than me. But I don't think he should be the first and last answer of everything that comes up on the "rumor" bin. He isn't entirely right all the time either from example of ESPN-HD on E* at launch.
THANK YOU!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.