AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the SF Bay Area and DTV does not offer the local channels in HD. I have tried and OTA antenna, but we are 60+ miles from the main transmitting tower and in a valley, so we have no HD reception.

Looking at the specs for the DTV HD Tivo, I noticed an ATSC input. Would it be possible to connect the Comcast basic cable+HD RF into this input and then be able to view and record the local HD channels along with the DTV HD channels?

I'm sure other folks have this problem, but I wasn't able to find anything in the forums.

Thanks,

.joe

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtreyes2000
Looking at the specs for the DTV HD Tivo, I noticed an ATSC input. Would it be possible to connect the Comcast basic cable+HD RF into this input and then be able to view and record the local HD channels along with the DTV HD channels?
Short answer:

No

Longer answer:

OTA ATSC uses 8VSB modulation ... the HDTivo has a pair of 8VSB demodulators allowing it to tune OTA HD channels.

Cable typically uses QAM modulation. The HDTivo doesn't have a QAM demodulator and won't be able to tune cable HD channels.

At one point there were a few cable plants using 8VSB for OTA stations ... which you should be able to get to work with an HDTivo ... but that number seems to be approacing 0. I haven't heard of anyone actually getting any 8VSB via cable for quite a while.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.