AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a Samsung DTV HDTV sat receiver yesterday. I didn't want to break open the envelope for the P4 access card becuase I'm not yet sure if I will be keeping this unit or opting for cable HDTV.

Don't get me wrong, I do have a subscription to both cable and DTV - I'm just not yet sure which is right for me and my setup.

The Samsung won't run w/out an access card in it, so I took the old HU card from my UTV unit and put it in the box just to get it turned on. I realize I won't get any satellite HDTV signals, but I don't even have the newer dish setup yet. I can get off-air HDTV, which is what I'm using to test all of this.

Anyway, the Samsung says I have inserted an incompatible access card. This makes me wonder if all HDTV receivers require a P4 card. Does anyone know? I always thought the P4 had more to it than just stopping signal theft...is it HDTV?

Curious...

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,652 Posts
Cards are married to specific receivers, you can't just put any card in a receiver; it won't work.

Also, I believe DirecTV will only activate the most recent cards (P4?) in receivers of any type.

·
Registered
13,196 Posts
Ken,

You can re-assign a card to another receiver (at least you could) - you do have to call DirecTV and have them marry to each other. I used the same card on three receivers. And the new HDTV receivers do require at least a P4.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Charles R
Ken,

You can re-assign a card to another receiver (at least you could) - you do have to call DirecTV and have them marry to each other. I used the same card on three receivers.
I've been told it's a thing of the past.

·
Registered
55 Posts
the samsung unit will only work with a p4 card, in fact all the newer hdtv ird's will only work with the p4

·
Registered
70 Posts
The hughes E86 works with no access card. You'll get the current

program guide & be able to surf it & the OTA channels come booming in.

Samsung's need an access card to run.

Nobodys posted if the Zenith/Sony works cardless.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H
I've been told it's a thing of the past.
Not so..

I just got a Samsung warranty replacement unit without a card.

Called DTV and they switched my original card to work with the repalcement unit just last week.

J C

·
Registered
45,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JC West
Not so..

I just got a Samsung warranty replacement unit without a card.

Called DTV and they switched my original card to work with the repalcement unit just last week.
What version card do you use?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H
What version card do you use?
The Samsung TS-160 comes with the P4 card and as stated will not recognize the older cards.

About a year ago when the STB was new I tried the same thing with the P3 from my DTV SD receiver so that I wouldn't have to break the seal on the new access card in case I wanted to return the unit.

J C

·
Registered
45,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JC West
The Samsung TS-160 comes with the P4 card and as stated will not recognize the older cards.

About a year ago when the STB was new I tried the same thing with the P3 from my DTV SD receiver.....
That sounds like the issue. They will allow current gen cards to be moved from one unit to another, but will not activate older gen cards, once out of the married unit, or out of service.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
There are some cards out there even newer than the P4 aka Access Card 4. The new cards are the "P11". There may be an even newer card than that also in testing.

Supposedly, all the older HU cards should be gone within months as they again start sending replacements. Many here with DirecTV/Tivo boxes got all new cards (the P4) a long while back...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.