AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, from what TitanTV says, the DTV selection here sucks. Ahh, gotta love Columbus. Has anyone tried different antenna setups to try to pull signals from other towns? I'm in New Albany, and it looks like I can get:

30 (45-1) WRGTDT FOX

51 (22-1) WKEFDT NBC

51 (22-2) WKEFDT2 NBC

Though I have no idea where they are coming from, possible south and south east though. Has anyone tried a setup to enable them to pull from Cinci or Dayton?

Dizzy

·
Registered
40 Posts
Both WRGT and WKEF are in Dayton which should be southwest of your location. What kind of signal strength are you getting?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Dizzzy

How high is your antenna. What kind of receiver are you using. I can only get WBNS-DT from here. I will be putting up a 40' tower with a channelmaster 4228 antenna soon. I hope to get Dayton with this setup.

·
Registered
14 Posts
In our part of the world, it is fairly flat. What is the range of HDTV signals for OTA? Are they more far-reaching than regular TV?

Presuming at some point all cities such as Columbus, Dayton, Toledo, etc will have all of their local network affilliates broadcasting in HD, what is the need for a huge antenna setup to achieve duplication of programming from another town? (Honestly, I think America looks better without every house having a huge antenna on it.)

Aren't we all tied to either the Time Warners or Dishnets of the world to receive all of the channels we will never receive locally OTA - Discovery, Food-TV, History Channel, etc.?

Even when I lived in the middle of no-where Michigan, I refused the big pole and aluminum sculpture, instead going to Dishnet for even my networks. Big poles are so subject to wind damage in the flats.

·
Registered
103 Posts
As far as I know only WBNS-10TV is broadcasting in HDTV in Columbus. I can get that OTA and it looks superb when they are showing true HD material. Rumor is WSYX6 and Fox28 will be doing HDTV "mid-year". I kind of doubt you'll have much luck getting Dayton channels OTA. Plus I agree it's overkill to install some giant antenna as it's just a matter of time before all locals will be in HDTV format.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Does anyone here have HDTV through Time-Warner yet? I emailed them today and they said the waiting list is approximately 1000 right now.

:(

I'm curious what box they are using for installs too.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The channels I can supposedly get were in TitanTV, I can't get them though. The only one I can actually pick up is WBNS-DT.

I'm in the process of buying a house, and I'm actually going to set up an antenna in the attic on a rotary mast. There was someone in CA who was able to pick up channels over 100 miles using it. It was a double bowtie channel master antenna, like $22 or something. Not bad.

As for my setup, I am using a MyHD card for the receiver. Very nice card. WBNS looked incredible. I was so impresssed, I was actually watching Soaps yesterday!

As for the HDTV through the cable co. I heard that they were going to be encrypted, like if you use a sat dish. I want to be able to time shift. I work crappy hours and I need to record everything, and I can't if it's encrypted.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm moving in 2 weeks and called Time Warner to order service today. I was expecting to be put on the 1000+ long waiting list for HDTV. Well appearantly they have HDTV receivers in stock now. I will be getting mine installed on June 15th. :D Just a week ago when I inquired I was told I'd have to be put on the waiting list for "several weeks".

The guy on the phone wasn't very knowledgable about HDTV service. About the only thing I could get from him is that it is a stand alone box. It does the HDTV and regular digital/analog cable in one unit. I thought I had previously read that TW used some sort of add-on box. Maybe they have a new receiver they are using. Anyone know anything more about this or what model TW is installing right now?

They are currently broadcasting CBS (WBNS-10TV), HBO HD and Showtime HD with "more" to come "soon".

I can't wait. :D

·
Registered
148 Posts
TitanTV has changed the date on WSFJ the Pax station from June 1, 2002 to "Under Review".

They are still showing WCHM as being up by June 15th. As recent thread suggested a latter time frame. Does anyone have a definitive date?????

·
Registered
509 Posts
Just talked to WCMH engineering...they are having trouble with slow equipment deliveries. They now plan on starting some time in July, although it could slip to August.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Forgot to mention in the above post...the engineer said that they would NOT be broadcasting true HDTV, probably 480p, but leno would be 1080i.

It's not lookin' good.

·
Registered
97 Posts
For all you snobs who think I should not put up a 40' tower in my back yard, have a look at some of the posts on the Columbus time schedule. WCMH has no idea. WTTE and WSYX are owned by Sinclair and it will be a very cold day when they broadcast anything high definition. Also factor in

our local yocals preempting national feeds (no CART race Sunday on 10 however it was on 21). Besides, I live in Grove Tucky. With a 40' tower I will be the pride of the neighborhood.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mcfoo
Forgot to mention in the above post...the engineer said that they would NOT be broadcasting true HDTV, probably 480p, but leno would be 1080i.
If they they would have the capabilities to do Leno in 1080i, why would they not do the other NBC shows (Crossing Jordan, and hopefully the fall line up in 1080i). WCMH is an NBC O&O station which would make me think that they would do like the other O&O stations.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'd bet the engineer didn't know there were shows other than Leno in HD. If they're passing Leno they'll probably be passing the others HD material in 1080i. I hope he just meant the NTSC only shows will be in 480.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey DEF, if you rig a pulley system, you can use the 40 foot tower and antennae to dry your clothes too. Grove-tucky? That's funny.

The station's responses are the polar opposite of what they should be. They view us as illigitamate step-children. I thought we were the consumers of all the ad space they sell.

If the station fails to do the deed, we still have an avenue through local advertisers to apply pressure. Same applies to TWC. They sell ads and so we can complain to their advertisers about the lack of HD capability. It takes a consistant effort and doesn't happen over night.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.