AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to a post from Foxbat a few days ago, he had information that WNIT-DT, 35, South Bend (PBS) was scheduled to sign on this afternoon at 1:45. Can anyone in Northern Indiana confirm this?

Yesterday I saw WISH, Indianapolis engineer Tom Weber and asked him about the progress of sister station WANE-DT, 31, Fort Wayne (CBS). He said it will be awhile before the station gets on the air. There are still a few issues related to the station's channel allocation change that must be addressed.

Also, for viewers in the Evansville area, I read an FCC post a few weeks ago stating that WEVV-DT, 45, Evansville (CBS) had been granted a 6 month extension on its CP.

Steve

·
Registered
619 Posts
Steve,

Yes, WNIT-DT is on the air on channel 35 as I type. However, they are not passing on PBS HD programming in HD, it's just an up-converted 1080i version of the standard feed (Manor House is on now.) I have an e-mail into Brian Hoover asking about this.

I'm getting 90-99% quality on my Dish 6000, but then again, I'm only two or three miles from the tower. PQ of the up-convert is excellent, however; it's better than any of the other SB stations. With the 6000's zoom mode, it produces a very watchable 16:9 picture, but it is softer than a true 1080i picture.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Foxbat
I have an e-mail into Brian Hoover asking about this.
Here's what he said:
Quote:
We cannot time-shift HD programming, so we can only offer a show in HD if it is available live from PBS in HD at the same time we air it in analog. If the show is something we have in-house on tape that we are playing back, then there's no way we can air it in HD. Sorry. Our first scheduled HD broadcast is "Peter and Paul and the Christian Revolution" on May 14th at 7 P.M.

Brian

·
Registered
405 Posts
WFWA, pbs in fort wayne,in is OTA as of 4/27/03

40-1 remaps to 39-1 WFWA-HD high def only

40-2 remaps to 39-2 WFWA-DT digital transmision of reg ch 39 proggies

·
Registered
18 Posts
WFFT-DT 36-1 (FOX 55) has test bars up tonight but with low power. WFWA-DT 40-1 and 2 (PBS39) started transmissions on 03-26-03 at 7AM but shut down at 6PM until 1 or 2 weeks ago they started running a full transmission day. It has been a slow process for Fort Wayne stations to get it together. The last major city in Indiana to transmit in HDTV.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Fort Wayne is probably one of the last cities in the country to get their stuff together! Thanks for the info. I figure Comcast won't even think about HD until a few months after the OTA stations start broadcasting.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Randy J Mays
WFFT-DT 36-1 (FOX 55) has test bars up tonight but with low power.

According to what I've found, WFFT-DT is signing on with a whopping 970 watts @ 211 feet. Wow! This will be lucky to cover Allen County.

Steve

·
Registered
18 Posts
Steve,

I just got off the phone with an Engineer at FOX 55 and he says they are running an FCC minimum 100 watts at the 211 feet. I can pick them up with my dual JBX21 antennas and a 26DB pre-amp at 40 feet, this will give the same signal strengh as WFWA-DT 40 WITHOUT the pre-amp, just antennas only I can still pick them up but just 3 bars on my Samsung T151 . Move it side to side a few deg. and POOF they are gone and overload from the pre-amp is a problem with the other non-DT transmitters off the same towers. They are in question if they can reach Auburn to the North and my guess Columbia City to the West. As Steve posted they will be "lucky to cover Allen County" with power levels less than a microwave oven, good luck. He could not advise when something other than test bars would be on so here we wait.

·
Registered
18 Posts
WISE-DT 19-1 on the air in Fort Wayne (old call WKJG-33) they have a very good signal in SW Fort Wayne. You High Gain directionals outside 60 miles should get this one. And I'm sure most of you know WFFT-DT 36-1 (FOX 55) is running regular programming now.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks, keep up with the updates, because as soon as all the channels are up, I have a decision to make, yay or nay on some OTA tuner that's futureproof somehow.

BTW, does anybody know any good ISF calibrators in the Fort Wayne area? I have a Hitachi I'd like to get the service done on. Checked the ISF website but I have no way of knowing if the couple on there are any good with Hitachi's, and do the full service calibration that I'd want.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Is 36-1 (Fox) really up full time now? As of yesterday I am getting 19-1 (NBC) and both 40 feeds but I haven't been able to get anything off of 36-1. I'm guessing that I am only 7 miles max from the fox towers and I'm worried that I'm not pulling it in, but after asking around at work I have found they aren't getting it either. I have a terk-44 on top of my dish with a samsung t-160, so far I have been getting 70% reception for 19-1 and near 80's for the 40-1 and -2. I'm not a pro at this stuff so if I'm saying anything that doesn't make sense please understand.

·
Registered
97 Posts
In my experience, the Terk antennas are crap. I didn't get good/reliable signals at all with my self-installed terk.

I hired a professional to install a better antenna, and he chose the Winegard. I get great signals and reliability with the Winegard.

The professional I hired had been doing antenna installations for 21 years, and his expert opinion is that Terks will only work under ideal conditions.

I would look for a local antenna installer to assess your situation. Might cost a bit of money up front, but will save you frustration in the long run.

good luck

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the info but I'm limited in what sort of antenna I can put on my house due to association rules. Is there something small or maybe attic mountable that I could use? Basically it has to be hidden. One note of interest I am now getting 97% signal strength for 40-1. Any more info on 36-1 out there?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I called Fox-55 and asked if they were broadcasting on their digital signal and I got no as an answer. No other information.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ceconl,

Fox (55) DT 36-1 has been and still is on the air full time broadcasting for just over 3 weeks now. I posted the information they are running low power but I am getting a better signal now (10% at best). You must be pointing at them with a quality antenna or at least in the right direction without a preamp with a preamp it's easier but you can overload the receiver if your to close (and you are). And look on the FCC website a law passed some time ago in 1996 that allows you to have a antenna to receive OTA signals UHF or VHF on your roof I think the rule is up to 12 feet above the roof line size is not a factor and a SAT dish up to 1 Meter. No association can or has won against this ruling but you must apply for a petition to the FCC they will send you the paperwork that will hold up in court, this is how I understand the process. the site can be found at http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

I live in Westlakes and the association has not said a word on my dual UHF Blake JBX 21 antennas.

·
Registered
18 Posts
One note in my statement that "no association can or has won against this ruling" needs clarification, the key is that you can not get a quality signal if mounted inside your house I.E. ghosting, fade and snow just to name a few. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the info Randy. I'm thinking that I might be worrying over nothing. Like I said before I am now getting 40-1 at 98% and NBC now at 70 and I emailed the engineer at NBC WISE and he said that they only have their temp antenna up and they will be getting their perm up later this month. You said that you are only getting 36 at 10% and they are running low power. And I called and they said that they aren't broadcasting, so are they running at low power for tests and when they decide to run will it be at a higher power? Or is this the best I will get and I should return my antenna. I suppose that I could get a larger antenna but for the looks of everything I'd rather not. Thanks again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just a quick update if anyone cares. I ditched the terk 44 (Circuit City is awesome with returns). Went to Sears and bought a zenith silver searcher and without an amp I get 36-1 at about 45% and everything else comes in much better. Thanks for the info Randy. If anyone cares I have the zenith antenna in my attic and running through a splitter to two rooms.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.