AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read an article in the local newspaper here about DTV coming *finally* to the Sioux Falls area soon. However I was a bit disconcerted to note that our local NBC affiliate (KDLT) will be starting their digital broadcasts soon, but NOT in HiDef! They cited cost as their reason not to provide HDTV signals.

Could someone enlighten me as to what components in a local station would be impacted when choosing between SD digital and HD digital? I've got some background in this, and I believe that once you put in the VSB transmission equipment to go digital, that stuff will send out any MPEG stream you want, in any ATSC format, up to 19.4 mb/s. Am I correct here, and if so, is the extra cost perhaps in the equipment needed to receive HD feeds from the network (in this case, NBC)?

Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I can't provide any enlightenment on the HD broadcast components, equipment and such, or even confirm KDLT will only be going to SD and not HD. I am replying however, to find out the status and plans of all Sioux Falls digital OTA signals. I've been debating whether or not to purchase HDTV receiving equipment and have posed the questions to most stations directly, but have only received vague/non-responsive replies.

Anyone have any up to date info on the Sioux Falls locals OTA HDTV plans? Schedules? Types of signals? ....etc.

Any info appreciated.

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
This is how it applies to Fox, but should be the same for other networks, only the network feed receiver would be different. In other words, they would need a HD satellite receiver (and new dish if on different satellite than their current feed), and a HD switcher. Im assuming they already have an upconverter and atsc encoder.

http://www.teranex.com/pdf/Fox-app-note.pdf

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.