AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The problems with the old name have been becoming more and more anoying so we've finally got round to renaming dTV.

From the next release onwards dTV will be know as dScaler.

In the short term this will obviously increase confusion but hopefully in the long run it will be worth it.

John

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What will be in 2.3
  • Plug-in architecture
  • Judder reduction
  • New Greedy 2 Frame method (good for sports)
  • Gamma filter
  • Option to save settings per format/source
  • WSS decoding for Pal and Secam sources
  • Use of aspect ratio WSS data
  • 3 screens of Information using OSD (general screen, statistics screen and WSS data decoding screen)
  • Autohide cursor feature
  • Popup menu - right click in window
  • New menu with direct access to all channels
  • Command to go to the last viewed channel
  • Single click replaced by double click to switch between window mode and

fullscreen mode
  • Option to save last used video format per video input
  • Zoom feature - still experimental
  • Adjustable window position
  • Orbiting & Bounce
  • CC support - experimental - lots of known problems
  • Teletext support - experimental - lots of known problems

John

·
Registered
803 Posts
Well, what can we say ?

THANKS A LOT !

I totally like dScaler, it retains the glorious heritage of dTV and sounds nice.

There was a bug i found in OSD, when you selected the screens to display the settings were not retained upon exiting. I always had to reselect the statistics screen or the WSS screen.

bye

------------------

dubmaster

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I was pulling for dLace myself, but dScaler a great name too. I'm sure will we all grow to love dScaler just as much as we've grown to love dTV. One little question, is it spelled scalar or scaler. I've seen it both ways.

From the American Heritage Dictionary:

Scalar: A device that yields an output equal to the input multiplied by a constant.

Scaler: An electronic circuit that records the aggregate of a specific number of signals that occur too rapidly to be recorded individually

If someone is going to design new graphics for the new name, I really think it would be a nice play on words to use a fish theme.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Joe: When the name was being discussed, everybody referred to it as "dScaler".

Re a new logo, we will be soliciting ideas and designs in another thread, probably this evening.

------------------

Dan

·
Registered
471 Posts
Nice, keep up the good work!

Just a single feature which would be nice; I'm interested in using the spdif output on my pc for all sound. Thus I need to digitize input on the cd audio connector on my soundcard.

I can run an independent application, but it would be nice to have such a feature integrated in dScaler. I guess this is just a simple directsound filter, but with some care taken not to introduce buffer delays.

Would this be a simple thing to add to dScaler?

------------------

-Torgeir

·
Registered
6,434 Posts
Fantastic news - especialy as I've only recently discovered this excellenty software!

The main reason I didn't pay any attention to it before was because of the name - I thought it was some kind of digital tv thing.

I think dScaler is a more apt name that discribes the application at a glance.

I can't wait for 2.3 (will the menus function better (be visible) in Mpact 24bit mode?)

Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
276 Posts
dscaler? This is a good move. I was always concerned that newcomers to the forum were confusing dTV with DTV (Digital Television). This new version looks great. When is it to be released?

------------------

ICQ 116808321
http://www.btinternet.com/~woof.bark

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi!

Quote:
There was a bug i found in OSD, when you selected the screens to display the settings were not retained upon exiting. I always had to reselect the statistics screen or the WSS screen.
It is not really a bug, it is a choice I made. I will save the selected screens in ini file later if you think it is important.

Laurent

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
dScaler is excellent. That will really help clear things up for those folks who don't capitalize well.

·
Registered
456 Posts
dScaler ... yup better than dtv ... but hey fishing season opens this weekend and I might need a "descaler" for that too! Ha!

Bob

------------------

WinME, PIII 866mhz, 815e Chipset, 256MB, Radeon AIW, WinTV-D & DirectX 8

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Now that there are quite fast machines generally available these days; will you be adding some algorithms that increase the program's performance, but need to be used with these high powered systems? Eg., 1Ghz+?

------------------

goosystems.com

Ken Hotte

[email protected]

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Any possibility of support for oddball video formats?

I've run into a problem. My Sony NTSC camcorder can play PAL DV tapes,

but it does not actually output a PAL signal. It puts out PAL resolution

video at a PAL frame rate, but with NTSC color encoding. All my

multi-standard video equipment gets confused and shows this in B&W

with a weird color interference over it. DTV and my Hauppauge WinTV

get confused in the same way.

Is it possible for dScaler force the board to use one frame rate and

a different color decoder? It's sort of a reverse of the weird 60

field, PAL color encoding reportedly used in South America.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
The dScaler logo competition has been posted .

Ken: what do you have in mind? With the gamma filter, noise reduction filter and adaptive deinterlacing, we still might have a couple hundred MHz left...

------------------

Dan

[This message has been edited by dschmelzer (edited 05-08-2001).]

·
Registered
485 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KBK:
Now that there are quite fast machines generally available these days; will you be adding some algorithms that increase the program's performance, but need to be used with these high powered systems? Eg., 1Ghz+?
I know I'll be interested in playing around with more advanced video processing on fast machines. Not sure how many of the developers have high-speed HTPCs, though; mine is a 700MHz Pentium III. Makes testing a bit problematic, and of course it's hard to muster up enough motivation to write code my machine is too slow to use. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

dScaler is one of the few apps that would see a clear benefit from the new SSE2 instructions in the Pentium 4 -- they'd let us process roughly twice as much video in the same number of instructions we're using today. Not that I'd seriously consider a P4 system nowadays, but it's another factor to keep in mind.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Laurent Garnier:
Hi!

It is not really a bug, it is a choice I made. I will save the selected screens in ini file later if you think it is important.

Laurent
Oui, Laurent, I think it's quite important being able with a couple of enter strokes to get to the statistics screen which is useful to check DF/S and the deinterlace changes.

bye

------------------

dubmaster

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
2.3 will probably be release some time next weekend

John

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just in time for the semi-final rounds of Stanley Cup. I am looking forward to the new algorithm for sports viewing. Thanks, in advance.

------------------

-macdaddy

visit www.theHarangue.com

[This message has been edited by theREALmacdaddy (edited 05-08-2001).]

·
Registered
2,736 Posts

John,

Congrats on the new version. Will it be called dScaler Vers. 1.0 ?

------------------

Brett

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.