Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From a 5/11 press release:

"In an effort to speed the rollout of digital television (DTV), the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) announced today that the majority of digital television manufacturers plan to implement the IEEE 1394 digital interface in their digital video products and have endorsed the Digital Transmission Content Protection (DTCP) system for protecting content transmitted across the 1394 interface."
http://www.ce.org/newsroom/newsloader.asp?newsfile=7460

·
Registered
33,439 Posts
And it looks like you can either throw away all of your existing HD equipment, or keep them as glorified DVD players. How exciting! Once again, the early adopter has been screwed.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Ken, I don't see how that's the case. The 5C supporters haven't said anything about disallowing HD analog component output on set-top boxes which was what was outrageous about the DVI/HDCP scheme. 5c is much less draconian, just regulating copying via digital interconnect between set-top boxes, HD recording devices, and DVD players, which is reasonable in my view. Early adopters are only screwed if they try to squash the analog component interconnects.

·
Registered
33,439 Posts
Stephen,

I guess my comments were based upon what I already know is about to happen here in N.Y. Cablevision on Long Island currently carries HBO, MSG and Fox Sports in HD using the 8VSB modulation scheme. They have announced they will soon begin releasing Sony STBs that output HD ONLY through the firewire outputs of the STB (with the firewire and 5C copy protection). I'm VERY concerned this will become a trend in other areas (satellite transmission etc.).

I wouldn't be as concerned if I could access HD MSG and Fox Sports somewhere else, but the fact is that only Cablevision carries this. Further complicating my problem is the fact that I believe the built-in Zenith HD tuner I use is of higher picture quality than any of the other STBs. I therefore watch HD HBO on my Zenith tuner rather than the RCA DTC100 in my setup. Looks like those days are coming to an end.

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
I'd say the only way the early adopter will lose out is in recording. My guess would be that even though they will allow the old STB's to output HD that only the new ones will allow you to record it. I bet every VCR or other HD recording device only records through the new firewire connections.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I am perfectly willing to buy a new $600 STB to get one with firewire outputs. However, it must also have VGA/RGBHV outputs in order to output to my existing projector which is a $10,000 investment. If I have to buy the new STB to be able to hook it to a new digital recorder, then I will be happy to buy both the STB and the new digital recorder. Where I will draw the line is in supporting any new product which does not allow the viewing of HD content through component/VGA/RGBHV outputs.

Cheers,

Bernd

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bernd:

I am perfectly willing to buy a new $600 STB to get one with firewire outputs. However, it must also have VGA/RGBHV outputs in order to output to my existing projector which is a $10,000 investment. If I have to buy the new STB to be able to hook it to a new digital recorder, then I will be happy to buy both the STB and the new digital recorder. Where I will draw the line is in supporting any new product which does not allow the viewing of HD content through component/VGA/RGBHV outputs.

could not have said it better myself.

[This message has been edited by ADebar (edited 05-14-2001).]

·
Registered
70 Posts
The article also says that they have agreements "in priciple" from two major studios - Sony and WB. Sounds to me like the movie industry as a whole is not enthusiastic about this standard. There may yet be a showdown between content providers and equipment manufacturers putting consumers in the line of fire.

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
I don't think that any of us early adopters will be able to watch home recordings of HDTV material. My thoughts would be that the recording devices that will be made available for HDTV will only input and output through 1394 cables(whatever the standard might be). I'd say that they will for a time continue to make STB with component outputs, but if you want to record or watch something recorded and you don't have 1394 TV you will be SOL. And I doubt that they will make any stand alone converters that take the 1394 and pass it as component.

Are best chances are that the computer industry and one of the smaller companies that usually go ahead and build things like this(1394 to component convertors) wether the MPAA likes it or not.

Also I wonder when they will ever learn that no matter what they try, some computer geek will hack their codes and 1394's and whatever else they come up with. All they do is waste money trying to develope stuff that will be hack anyway. Look at DVD's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.