AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pardon a little technical question here. Obviously, we're in the early stages of this technology, although at least count, I see 186 markets broadcasting in DTV now (multicasting, actually). And therein lies my question:

I live about 45 miles away from Philadelphia, with some mountainous terrain between me and the transmitters. While my signal strength is generally in the 60's for most channels, I occassionally get pixellation and dropouts. This drives my wife crazy to no end, since sometimes critical dialog can be lost. If I've read everything right, some of this is caused simply because of the 8vsb standard.

So the question is, is it going to get better? When broadcasters stop multicasting both analog and digital, will they also increase their transmitting power? (what determines their transmitting power, anyway?) Hopefully, someday, the cable companies will carry the digital stations but right now, my cable company has no plans to do so. (oh, they claim they carry digital programming on their "digital" service, but it's the analog broadcast, not the DT broadcast)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.