Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello HD Fans,

I'm looking for an HDTV RF Modulator. What I want to do is take a DVI|Component|RGB HDTV 480i/p, 720p, or 1080i signal and send it out on a RG-6 RF cable on a DTV channel. What I'm really trying to do is take the HD output from a Sony HD200 Satellite receiver send it the MyHD card. You'll note that the MyHD card doesn't have an HD video input for this. The SVideo is as close as it gets, but this obviously isn't what I want to do. I would also like to feed other TVs in the house the HD signal and the easiest way to do this would be over a standard DTV RF signal. If you know where I could get something like this, I would appreciate the information.

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
71 Posts
Wow, that seems like a huge job.

First, if you've got RGB or component, you've got to digitize it (losing some quality right there). From that or DVI, you've got to compress the data in real time into an ATSC signal. That's going to take a lot of CPU to do well. Maybe someone can guess at the processing required to do that.

Then you have to take that ATSC stream and modulate it with 8VSB, another very tricky operation. Even more tricky because it's all analog.

Does anyone even know of a chipset to do this, or is it all done by TV stations with huge consoles?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
As others have said, the big expense will be the real-time MPEG2 encoder. Those run from $40K to $100K. What's your budget? You will not be able to do this below $30K. You will not be able to use a regular computer either. The sheer bandwidth of uncompressed HD is more than a PCI slot would handle, and I'm not aware of any AGP HD capture cards. In addition the general purpose (even a P4 3.2GHz) CPUs are still too slow for real-time HD MPEG2 compression.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Once you have encoded the signal to ASI, you can use an 8vsb RF modulator and channel upconverter to place it on any DTV channel you desire. Zenith has reduced their combo modulator/upconverter from 30k down to 15k. ktechtelecom has a similar product around the 8k price range.

TV studios do not convert analog signal like the ones you can get, they get the non compressed DVB ASI-310 stream (200mbs) and push that out to the modulator.

I'm actually designing/building a closed DTV distribution system right now. Very expensive job.

vegggas

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
The very first HD sat receiver - the Dish 5000 - with HDTV modulator - did this... But anything else more recent has left off an 8VSB output option... probably because it makes it so easy to record.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.