Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And I subscribe to Showtime HD. I have had it for weeks now, and

have not seen a SINGLE HDTV presentation, due to the fact they schedule

them starting at 5:00 our time. Some of us work for a living.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
???????????????????????????????????????

·
Registered
11 Posts
I strongly agree as well. DTV already has HBO. I can't see a second movie channel when the only other thing they have is HDNET.

The fundamental problem I have with movies on TV whether DBS, Cable, or OTA is that they don't have the convenience of DVDs. Once you have the ability to pause, replay a scene, watch it whenever and however many times you want, watching movies on TV's schedule is very restricting. We have a seven year old son and a lot of the content just isn't appropriate for someone that young. On the other hand, I don't want to stay up until midnight watching something that starts at 9:30 or 10:00. Granted,the resolution isn't as good yet, but the other factors outweigh that, at least for me.

Discovery would introduce programming that would compliment HBO's movies and HDNET's sports and travelouges, for the most part be young age appropriate, and not require the viewer to be riveted to for two solid hours to fully grasp like a movie.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I disagree with the premise of this thread that there is room for but only three HD channels on D*. If there must be a trade, I can think of several shopping channels that can go poof to make room for an HD channel.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
This thread is based on two bad assumptions, one there is no more room for a new HD channel on DirecTV, two SHOHD can easily be replaced.

First, DirecTV can add another HD channel if they want to, they choose not to for now. Second, SHOHD is valuable to many other HD viewers. I have yet in the recent history heard one existing channel being replaced with another potentially similar channel, during its contract period. The existing programming always take priority over any potential channels, unless the contract expires and no new agreement can be made.

On the other hand, all logics aside, yes Discovery HD will be a more compelling HD channel than SHOHD at this time.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jsb_hburg
I disagree with the premise of this thread that there is room for but only three HD channels on D*. If there must be a trade, I can think of several shopping channels that can go poof to make room for an HD channel.
I think you misunderstood the premise for this thread. If Direct TV can

get bloody well showtime on in pseudo-HDTV, then they can bloody well

say yes to Discovery HD. Its up to them to say if they have to drop

Showtime or not. But they can't plead bandwidth or other problems

for not getting DiscoveryHD if they managed to swing Showtime in

full lame-o-vision.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Why would you assume that DirecTV can just wake up tomorrow and decide to drop Showtime-HD just like that? It is highly unlikely they could do it even if they wanted to. Channels aren't just added or dropped from multichannel systems on a whim. Carriage of any channel is a result of extensive negotiations resulting in contractual obligations that must be adhered to by both parties. While it would certainly be possible for DirecTV to add Discovery-HD at any time, I doubt that dropping Showtime-HD would be that simple.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Goodness, how much space was used in this forum to demand, and/or plead with DirecTV to add Showtime HD? To say nothing of the criticism aimed at them for not doing so faster.

One can only hope that equal effort and space not be utilized in an attempt to have them drop it.

To request that Discovery HD be added is fine; but for HD set owners to suggest dropping an HD channel would appear to be highly counterproductive.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
I thought we all b*tch at DirecTV because they didn't have Showtime HD, now we want them to drop it? Oh the Irony!:p

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I signed up for Dish Network in the first place because I wanted Showtime HD. I watch QAF, Stargate: SG1 and Jeremiah when ever possible. Now that DirecTv has Showtime HD, I plan to drop my Dishnetwork subscription when my contract expires.

/carmi

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MJG
I strongly agree as well. DTV already has HBO. I can't see a second movie channel when the only other thing they have is HDNET.

The fundamental problem I have with movies on TV whether DBS, Cable, or OTA is that they don't have the convenience of DVDs. Once you have the ability to pause, replay a scene, watch it whenever and however many times you want, watching movies on TV's schedule is very restricting. We have a seven year old son and a lot of the content just isn't appropriate for someone that young. On the other hand, I don't want to stay up until midnight watching something that starts at 9:30 or 10:00. Granted,the resolution isn't as good yet, but the other factors outweigh that, at least for me.

Discovery would introduce programming that would compliment HBO's movies and HDNET's sports and travelouges, for the most part be young age appropriate, and not require the viewer to be riveted to for two solid hours to fully grasp like a movie.
If you think DVD's are so great then stay with DVD's. I like both Showtime and HBO movies regardless when they are on. since I always record movies prior to watching them anyway. And I like to watch them from beginning to end, without interruptions, fast forward, random access or any other "convenience. I like to watch a movie exactly as it is played in the theater. To me DVD convenience is worthless.

bb

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I watch HBO-HD and Showtime-HD all the time. But I can't remember the last time I found anything of interest on HDNet.

·
Registered
A Samsung 65" QLED UHD TV... Onkyo AV Receiver... Polk Audio Surround Sound Speakers...
1,166 Posts
If bandwidth is the issue, then I can think of numerous channels DirecTV could drop before Showtime HD, starting with all the religious crap, the home shopping crap, and channels like Oxygen. But that's just a personal preference. I'd rather watch movies on a Showtime HD without commercial interruption than see insects mating on Discovery HD. That kind of stuff comes on the local PBS station in HD.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bb1987

If you think DVD's are so great then stay with DVD's. I like both Showtime and HBO movies regardless when they are on. since I always record movies prior to watching them anyway. And I like to watch them from beginning to end, without interruptions, fast forward, random access or any other "convenience. I like to watch a movie exactly as it is played in the theater. To me DVD convenience is worthless.

bb
If Showtime or HBO had even 1/10 (maybe even 1/100 or 1/1000) of the quality movies/special interest that DVD had then there would be a good argument, If HBO or Showtime had DTS sound and showed them in OAR then remarks like " I like to watch a movie exactly as it is played in the theater." may hold up.

I can see why the folks with big FPTVs prefer HBO/Showtimes resolutions but there are too many good things that will never grace pay-for-year old movies- channels.

I would take Discovery HD over either HBO or showtime which were cancelled for lack of content long ago (in Showtimes case the day after my SatC kit shipped)

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by wjbjr
Goodness, how much space was used in this forum to demand, and/or plead with DirecTV to add Showtime HD? To say nothing of the criticism aimed at them for not doing so faster.
I was not one of them, I invite you to look. And Showtime is NOT HDTV.

I invite you to go look, right now. One show a day does not an HDTV

channel make.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
I don't get Showtime anyway but in my questions here I've been told they have some of the highest quality upconverts.

But It seems our time would be better spent nagging them to just show some more real HDTV movies.

I think the underlying cause is probably related to a question I don't seem to be able to get an answer to:
Quote:
How much more does it cost a company like HBO or Showtime to get rights to show real HDTV movies, at a repetition rate similar to their other movies?
They obviously already have the technical, economic, and legal infrastructure in place. And a good upconvert will probably eat most of the bandwidth of a real HDTV flick, but just with less benifit.

So I'm assuming it is just too hard or expensive for them to get the rights to the movies that way or the rights show them at other times. Is this just something else being held up by Hollywood?

But nobody's talking. ;)

- Tom

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
I think it comes down to economics. Whether it's because HBO has invested in equipment and manpower to do some of their own transfers (course then it makes you wonder why they dont do more of their original series in HD) and/or because they pay the studios more money.

Either way it's not hard to phathom when one considers that HBO has something like 10 or 12 million more total subscribers than Showtime does. Thats a huge extra chunk of change every month considering that alot of costs to operate are probably about equal in other senses. Like uplink costs, number of channels, etc.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.