AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 3465 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I'll believe it when it actually comes up for a vote. However, I still think there are too many large companies that have spent too much perfectly good money on buying the freed spectrum - there's no way they'll allow that. If Congress seriously does more than talk about it, they're going to be *pissed*.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
It would be moronic to move the date when it is less than 6 weeks away. Lots of commitments have been made by everyone concerned.

·
Registered
246 Posts
With the coupon mess, 2/17 is looking less likely.

4 months delay is too long. 2 months (as I've suggested) is about the most delay that all that I'd foresee.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,727 Posts
I don't believe it.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/15492336

I don't believe it.

Don't believe that something is being said or that Congress can actually get something through in time ?

I've always believed that this date can't be moved - Congress simply doesn't move that fast.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowegian3 /forum/post/15492143

With the coupon mess, 2/17 is looking less likely.

4 months delay is too long. 2 months (as I've suggested) is about the most delay that all that I'd foresee.

The coupon mess does not prevent people from buying the converter boxes. There are a pretty good stock of converter boxes at the local electronic stores from what I have seen. So this is more about political CYA because of the confusion and growing public anxiety over the impending transition and saving people $40 on a converter box. Some of whom will be hard pressed to spend $20 on a $60 box even with a coupon.

Of course, the focus in Congress will be on mollifying the general public. How a delay would affect the broadcast stations and the consumers who have made the move to digital tuners is likely to given short thrift if the move to delaying the transition date gets strong enough. A delay will hurt several hundred stations waiting to go full power with a digital signal or get on the air at all with a digital signal. There are also, maybe several hundred?, stations who have transmitter work and in some cases tower crews lined up to do major antenna work in the week after Feb. 17. What happens to those stations and digital OTA viewers if there is a last minute 4 month delay?

It would be interesting if someone in the press were to ask congressman Markey or the CU if they know how many stations have already shut off their analog broadcast? And how many will be shut off by end of January? And what happens to the stations who can't fire up a proper digital signal until another analog station goes dark? Oy, what a mess...

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooper /forum/post/15492380

Don't believe that something is being said or that Congress can actually get something through in time ?

I don't believe a (another) delay is actually being considered.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/15493536

I don't believe a (another) delay is actually being considered.

As was pointed out in another political thread, it's just being used as a political posturing device. The odds are basically nil that they'll actually delay it now, but it gives these guys a way when their constituents start howling to say "hey, look, *I* tried, see what I did for you?"

·
Banned
2,421 Posts
Won't happen. Obama doesnt even expect a Stimulus Package through Congress until President's Day which 2/16/2009. Too many leases and technical changes are already in place with the current cutoff date in mind.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt /forum/post/15492646

It would be interesting if someone in the press were to ask congressman Markey or the CU if they know how many stations have already shut off their analog broadcast? And how many will be shut off by end of January? And what happens to the stations who can't fire up a proper digital signal until another analog station goes dark? Oy, what a mess...

Exactly - the train already left the station. Everyone involved will say fine, extend the deadline, but we want a bailout.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
‘Here we go’ is right. We need to get this DTV transition over with. I think if they do extend this, some people will be happy, some will be annoyed. Some will be happy because they get extra time to prepare, while some will get annoyed because they rushed and prepared for this.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I think they want shake the winners down for some more money. Give me a "donation" or you'll be waiting for your spectrum.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Fund more coupons ? Certainly - while we're throwing billions around for big business for screwing up, what's another $1 billion for consumer coupons ?

But extend the deadline - no way. If I was a station owner - I'd say - "You want me to extend analog ? - Fine - fund me for it, but otherwise my plans are for ____ (Feb 17 for most, some earlier)".

·
Registered
17,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Given that they got $20 billion for the spectrum, the coupon program is paid for. If they're smart, they'll throw the extra money into it.

- Trip

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
The people who will not be prepared to receive digital in the middle of February will not be ready in four months if the transition is delayed.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBiker /forum/post/15495355

The people who will not be prepared to receive digital in the middle of February will not be ready in four months if the transition is delayed.

No, but there is likely to be less snow on the ground and the roof-tops for mad rushes to the electronics stores and antenna work when people discover their equipment isn't ready.

This should have been figured out right after Wilmington at the latest, but that test probably wasn't early enough to learn from it.

The Coupon thread had predicted that the money would run out early for some time now. The NTIA doesn't seem to be watching their own results. Saying that the waiting list is ok as expired coupons will flow back in eventually is not going to get it done. New requests are outpacing expired coupons by about 5:1 right now, with perhaps 50% of OTA homes converted so far (probably an optimistic number).

·
Registered
4,273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRT Dude /forum/post/15494358

I think they want shake the winners down for some more money. Give me a "donation" or you'll be waiting for your spectrum.

No, that is not the reason. This is a pander & CYA reaction to a lot of public, well, fear and backlash about the transition. This transition is not unlike a parachute jump. Congress & the still on analog OTA public is standing at the open door in the aircraft, staring out into the open (digital) sky and freezing up. Someone just needs to yell "don't forget to pull the ripcord' and kick them out the door.

·
Registered
17,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
And given that it's digital, the "freezing up" may be more literal than you implied.

- Trip

1 - 20 of 3465 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.