AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have for the most part replaced all my TV's with HDTV's and HDTV tuners. Does anyone know if Replay has any plan to expand the IR code library so the Replay can control some (ANY would be nice) of the HD/DTV tuners that are on the market. Are there any hacks or workarounds to control any of the HD/DTV tuners anyone knows of?

thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
Sundance,

You didn't mention which series Replay you have, and YMMV depending on what you have, but I just replaced my old RCA DTV reciever with a Hughes HTL-HD and have my 4508 controlling my HDTV reciever using Serial Control. However, there are a few "gotchas" you should be aware of.

1. You can't record in "high definition" per se, but it has a great picture none the less using the S-video out from the reciever and retains the "widescreen" format. The Hughes simultaneously outputs whatever signal it is sending in both HD (component, DVI) and SD (s-video and RCA). On things like HBOHD (simulcast of HBOSD), I end up with a much better picture than recording the SD signal from DirecTV. The Replay also doesn't pass the Dolby 5.1 signal either, but since we don't have a high end surround system, I don't notice any difference. I have it hooked up to a Hitachi 57s715 and the Replay picture with component out, and has never looked better.

2. I had to purchase a "TV Translator" to convert the new command set to the old one. I already have enough "cords" around with all the other equipment and didn't want to use the IR blaster. That was a "deal breaker" for me. You can find out more about the Translator and reciever compatibility with it here:

http://www.patersontech.com/Translator/TransMain.aspx

It's sort of clunky having that converter hanging out the back of my reciever, but it works like a charm. I also had to purchase the 9 pin port adapter to go with the translator, but all in all it works.

The first one they sent me had the newer firmware on it, and it kept changing the channel on the Hughes to 22350? no matter which channel I selected from the Replay. They gladly let me return the translator, and reprogrammed it to an older firmware, and it works great now. All I had to do was pay shipping back to them to have it reprogrammed (60 cents). If you decide to try this method, make sure you tell them the make of your reciever when ordering.

The only downside to this configuration is that you cannot use the Replay to record OTA HD channels without setting up a manual record on both the Hughes and the Replay to record OTA HDTV.

I did this as I have 4 Replay's in the house, and am not ready to shell out 1000.00 for a HDTV Tivo that IMHO is a giant step back in usability without being able to stream, archive off to DVA, and have to deal with Tivo's putting stuff on my unit that I don't want. I also read that some are having issues with the HDTV Tivo reciever (mainly broken HDMI ports) and don't want to introduce any issues in this conversion.

Maybe in a year or two when a few of the kids have moved out, issues are resolved, and more competition in the arena making the price come down, it may be an option. But this solution has allowed me to have my HD, and appease the rest of the family in the process.

Also, given that the family "Loves their Replay's", have a large DVA catalog, and I am the only one in the house that really cares that much about HD, I would probably be on the street in no time if I started replacing the Replay's! Can't watch HD with no power or DirecTV access!

Hope this helps.

Jay

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't make it clear in my post, by HD tuner I was speaking of OTA. Also I have Dish not Direct. While great info. to have it doesn't help me.

Thanks any way!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.