Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
 http://www.tvtechnology.com/hd_notebook/one.php?id=360
Quote:
Will a faster mandatory deployment of DTV tuners be the salvation of HD and multicasting and other aspects of digital television as we know it
Quote:
CEA, which has roundly criticized the NAB for years for allegedly dragging its feet on a full DTV rollout, said the accelerated date would be "extremely difficult" for manufacturers to meet.
Quote:
NAB concluded "advancing the date will expeditiously provide millions of Americans with access to DTV receivers, rather than analog-only sets, which will become obsolete. The DTV tuner mandate should also be extended to smaller (portable) sets and other devices with screens smaller than 13-inches as soon as practicable
Who will win? :cool:

·
Registered
14,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce
Who will win? :cool:
Since it is already law, NAB.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng
Since it is already law, NAB.
The debate is about:

1. Changing the July 1, 2007 date for all screens larger than 13" to an earlier date ... probably Dec. 31, 2006

2. Changing the July 1, 2007 date for all other receivers (VCRs, DVRs, etc) to an earlier date

3. Tuner requirements for screens under 13" (which are currently exempt)

These are all changes ... not existing regulations.

·
Registered
14,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dt_dc
The debate is about:

1. Changing the July 1, 2007 date for all screens larger than 13" to an earlier date ... probably Dec. 31, 2006

2. Changing the July 1, 2007 date for all other receivers (VCRs, DVRs, etc) to an earlier date

3. Tuner requirements for screens under 13" (which are currently exempt)

These are all changes ... not existing regulations.
It would appear that CEA really doesn't have a leg to stand on. It they proceed with this line of NAB has dragged their heels and then CEA says they can't do, then who looks more stupid? CEA has know about this just as long as NAB.

Cry me a river Shapiro so I can float my boat.

For those who live in glass houses..............

·
Registered
16,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dt_dc; Thank you. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
The manufacturers whined and moaned when UHF tuners were first required-"This will make TV sets too expensive". They did the same when 'click-type' UHF tuners were mandated. They did the same when Closed Captioning was required... and again when V-chips were required. (Have I forgotten any 'mandates that were resisted by TV manufacturers'?)

Now, TV sets are higher-performance and less expensive than ever, despite all of these mandates... is there any reason to listen to the manufacturers' latest 'cries of doom'??

I have a standing bet with several friends and family members: "One year after digital tuners are required in 13-inch TV sets, I will pay the entire cost above $100 for each of them to buy such a TV". This price is based on the common low price for a non-digital 13" TV when I made the 'bet', a couple of years ago. Notice that there is no 'benefit' to me in the 'bet'-it is just a one-way thing. I do not expect to be spending a bunch of money in ~2008!

·
Registered
16,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
(Have I forgotten any 'mandates that were resisted by TV manufacturers'?)
Stereo??
Quote:
is there any reason to listen to the manufacturers' latest 'cries of doom'??
They need their bonuses to pay off their two yuppie trucks in the driveway and their million dollar house on some hill in California (before it slides down the cliff after the next rainstorm). :mad:

·
Registered
16,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you can find one..............

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.