AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello this may be a stupid question but ill ask anyway..

I live in charlotte,nc and was wondering if there was a way I could see if I could pick up there digital stations without having a STB.. I just want to make sure before I go out and spends lots of money on hardware..

Thanks,

Dustin

·
Registered
730 Posts
First go here: http://www.metronet.com/~chipk/tv-listings.html

and see if there are any digital stations in your area.

If there are digital stations, see if there are any analog stations broadcast from the same location. Try to make sure the analog stations is similar in frequency (but at least in the same band UHF/VHF). Then see if you can pick up that analog station with an antenna. If you can get a decent analog signal on an old NTSC TV, then you can probably get the digital signal. If there is lots of ghosting (multipath) or the signal is very weak, you'll probably have problems with the digital stations.

There is no guarantee though . . . the digital station may be broadcasting at low power, multipath may severely disrupt digital reception, etc.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
After verifying DTV stations in your area, you have two choices to view DTV programing.

1) A DTV set-top-box, which will work with any kind of TV (HDTV Monitor, EDTV, SDTV, good old regular TV). The performance will be determined by the type of TV you use with it. For example, if you use a good old TV, you can still view DTV, but only in NTSC (existing TV system).

2) A true HDTV, which includes the stb internally.

------------------

"better living thru modern expensive electronics"

tm

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your help guys.. looks like I can pick them all up..

Would you recommend the DTC100 stb or something else?

·
Registered
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by blacker:
Would you recommend the DTC100 stb or something else?
Well, that depends on what TV you have. Some manufacturer's STBs are designed to integrate with their TVs. Mitsubishi's HD400 for example, sends a signal to the TV to switch inputs from 480 to 1080, depending on which channel you select in the guide and what the source is for that channel.

There's been a lot of discussion about STBs here. Do a search and you'll come up with plenty of opinions.

------------------

Tom

Sony SAT-T60 DirecTc>ic>Vc>oc> w/2.0.1

Sony SAN-24MD 24" elliptical dish

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.