AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Dual 1228 turntable that takes about 2-3 minutes to reach full speed. Would a tune up via a lubing kit do the trick?

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Depends what is wrong with it. A clean and lube might be all that is needed. Or there might be a problem with the motor. It could be the idler (or belt, I don't know what that model uses - you could google it) is slipping (in which case it needs to be cleaned up or replaced)

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its not the idler because I checked that and its clean along with the platter. Its in dire need of a tune up so I'll start there and see what happens.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey Energy Owner - how did you make out on this? I have a #1228 that I'm resurrecting after about being 20 yrs in storage. At first it didn't spin at all then I brushed the cobwebs out of the bottom gearing and, except for being kinda slow to shut off, seems to be ok. Kinda hard to retire the old warrior and just go out and buy a new one. thanks.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowmileage /forum/post/15776702

Hey Energy Owner - how did you make out on this? I have a #1228 that I'm resurrecting after about being 20 yrs in storage. At first it didn't spin at all then I brushed the cobwebs out of the bottom gearing and, except for being kinda slow to shut off, seems to be ok. Kinda hard to retire the old warrior and just go out and buy a new one. thanks.

I had to rebuild the motor. Let me know if you need any pointers. Do you have the user/service manuals? Its a great turntable. You don't see platters that heavy very often.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have the owners manual and the sketch for the cabinet it sits in. It appears the Shure M91ED is wiped out cause when I tried it on a record, it just skated along the record. I took a look under the maginifying glass and I think
the tip is gone
. Do you know the replacement nowadays for it. Once I get the new cartridge, I'll let you know more better on how it works. It use to work great but like everything else, when it sits something always happens. Thanks.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1 - 7 of 7 Posts