AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After way too many hours researching studying and number crunching I've decided to go with 2 separate sealed 13av.2's from Elemental Designs powered by an EP2000. My reasoning for choosing these two drivers are: they only require a 1.8 cu ft enclosure and therefore the small size meets the girlfriend approval factor much better. The guys at eD were great with customer service! I called a number of different ID company's and emailed others and by far Alex and Brett were head and shoulders above the rest. Although I was also very pleased when I spoke with Chad from Epik as well. Customer service is a top priority for my purchasing decisions so this weighed heavily in their favor.
Other options I considered:

AV15's and AV12's however John said they were still on backorder and I'm impatient I sold my previous subs 2 weeks ago. Also they require a little more power and the 15's a larger enclosure all for the same price as the 13AV.2. Debated on Shiva 12's with PR, but by the time I paid to have them shipped they were more cost than the 13av.2. I considered the Dayton Reference series and definitely would have saved $ but decided I wanted more low end output.

Planning to do 1/4 roundover with piano black finish on both (debating on product choices leaning towards lacquer currently). I'm currently epoxying the screw holes and seams before rounding over corners. My friend and I made the enclosures in his shop out of MDF in about 3hrs. I've spent about 5 hrs so far planing, sanding, and epoxying holes (Minwax high performance wood filler)

What I've learned so far: Belt sanding removes epoxy quickly but also gouges MDF easily (120 grit). It would take considerably less time to apply texture finish or vinyl than have smooth profile for piano black. MDF creates an obscene amount of dust.

Now onto the pics.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have finished the boxes, installed terminals and spikes, and received the drivers on December 1st. I want to spend a little more time listening and placing them before I give my feedback on the set up. So I will add that here when I have given them enough break in time.

The boxes were finished with Sherwin Williams OPEX Primer Surfacer black lacquer (P61B1) and top coated with a shaded coat of Sherwood CAB Lacquer Gloss (T75C15). I have about 4 coats of surfacer and 4 coats of CAB acrylic. Cure time on the CAB is 14 days so I will buff them shortly thereafter. I sprayed with CapSpray 105 HVLP. I am very happy with how they turned out and the two products I chose. If anyone chooses to go this route in the future make sure you follow the data pages and thin the primer/surfacer 125%!! I even tried spraying it airless and it struggles. It is a very high viscosity product. What I love about using lacquers is the short amount of time they take to dry and their willingness to sand so smooth and effortlessly.

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
You should wear a mask when sanding/cutting mdf.

I was running 4x13av.2. They sounded great, but had lackluster output below 35hz. They bottomed out pretty easily. Granted, it was a large room. I think some of it may have also been the leads tapping on the cone, but once you're at that point there isn't much room to go anyway.

Hopefully they do the job for you. Make sure to us a HPF or you will just hear them bottoming out on the ULF stuff.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have spent a few hours watching various HT material and various test tones and my first reaction was "Oh **it" and not in a good way. I had the two enclosures placed on the front stage about 8 feet apart one in a corner and another roughly half way along the front wall for aesthetic purposes. After listening to them for some time I was quite disappointed so I contacted Brett at eD to try to troubleshoot. Come to find out I had them in about the two worst possible room locations possible and was therefore getting minimal impact. I have to admit I was skeptical that doing a crawl test would fix the problem but the difference is night and day!! Unfortunately the best location for my room was behind my seating so I have since moved the row forward to accommodate the two subs behind the seating. Now I get the output I was expecting. My seats move an insane amount now during Hulk and bass heavy movies. The only music I really listen to is techno and the results are outstanding for music! Now I just need to replace my sh**ty Klipsh fronts. I am still afraid to turn them all the way up and increase their power given the amount of $$ I have in them. I grabbed a SPL meter from RadioShack and my output will definetly need some EQing I think but figured I'd post it for everyone else's opinion (these are at listening position and without being fulled powered because I guess I'm a baby

20hz-93db

30hz-103db

40hz-109db
50hz-95db

60hz-98db

70hz-107db

80hz-102db

90hz-112db

100hz-109db

·
Registered
3,433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgse3 /forum/post/19667353

I grabbed a SPL meter from RadioShack and my output will definetly need some EQing I think but figured I'd post it for everyone else's opinion (these are at listening position and without being fulled powered because I guess I'm a baby

20hz-93db

30hz-103db

40hz-109db
50hz-95db

60hz-98db

70hz-107db

80hz-102db

90hz-112db

100hz-109db

If you are using the analog SPL meter (preferred by most), then use the frequencies on the PEQ spreadsheet - http://www.pvconsultants.com/audio/eq/peq.htm . You can then turn on the correction values for the meter for an accurate response graph. Finally, the macro in this spreadsheet is set up to function like a BFD. You can tweak the response in the software and then manually input the values into a BFD.

It took me about 90 minutes to do this and the change was amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgse3 /forum/post/19667353

I am still afraid to turn them all the way up and increase their power given the amount of $$ I have in them.

If you frequent the many car audio forums, the 13AV.2 has/had an issue with spiders tearing. If that happens to you, these subs can be re-built - http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/f...ad.php?t=28733 . I have some 13AV.2 baskets that I am pairing with TC9 motors and LMS voice coils for an interesting set of subs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.