AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I currently have a Sony Dual LNB 18" dish running three Directv receivers. I plan to buy the Sony HD100 for HDTV on Directv. My questions are:

1. Do I lose any channels if I use two 18" dishes vs a single 24"? advantages/disadvantages

2. Since I will be adding a 4th Directv receiver to my home will I need a different switch box other than my current one I have which actually has one more receiver hookup on it I am not utilizing. I'm thinking due to HD I may need a new switch box.

3. Does the switch box come with the HD100 or does it only come with the 24" dish?

4. Lastly what direction do I point the second 18" dish for HD? I have an extra 18" lying around.

My thanks in advance for your input.

Is anyone using dual 18" dishes vs a single 24" for HD Directv?

------------------

Troy

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a friend that has the dish network HD system and his dual dish system came with two sw21 switches to hook up two dishes. It has input one shows sat 1 and input two has sat 2 with one output to sat receiver. Can I use one of these or two of them to run dual 18" dishes for HD directv? I assume this is dish networks "switch". I would then run the outputs of these two sw21 switches to my current DSS diplexer to run 4 directv boxes?

Would this work? I guess I could try and if not I would have to get the oval 24" dish.

I just don't see how dish and Directv would be different in this setup

------------------

Troy

·
Registered
68 Posts
The Dish Network "SW" switches will not work with directTV equipment.

Check places like startelectronics.com or empiresatellite.com for a 4X4 (or 5X4 if you want an antenna hookup) "tone-enabled" multiswitch.

"Tone-Enabled" refers to a 22KHz modulation that the "Plus" IRD/receivers use to tell the multiswitch whether it wants the "SAT A" or "Sat B" signals.

Good Luck

Scott

·
Registered
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Troytn:

1. Do I lose any channels if I use two 18" dishes vs a single 24"? advantages/disadvantages
No, advantages-each dish directed exclusively at each satellite. Disadvantage more hardware, more work.
Quote:

2. Since I will be adding a 4th Directv receiver to my home will I need a different switch box other than my current one I have which actually has one more receiver hookup on it I am not utilizing. I'm thinking due to HD I may need a new switch box.
You will require a new multiswitch to utitlize 2 LNBs from 2 satellites. What switch do you have now? Inputs/Outputs? Model #? You may be able to utilize it or replace it completely.
Quote:

3. Does the switch box come with the HD100 or does it only come with the 24" dish?
Multiswitch comes with the system package only. If you buy HD100 unit only, you get only the receiver, and if you buy the DISH, you get the DISH only. Pretty much depends on the dealer, read what you're getting.
Quote:

4. Lastly what direction do I point the second 18" dish for HD? I have an extra 18" lying around.

You need to point to the 119 satellite. The 101 is the main satellite for DirectTv. To get the 119, you can go to "dishnetwork" web site and punch in your zip code on their emulated "dish pointing" menu and get the proper az/el. Note: both 18" dishes require dual LNBs to even consider this set up.

Just to give you an idea how the Directv setup works:

3 Satellites (101,110,119) <-- can use oval (Directv+ dish for all 3). Up to 3 dual LNBs (110 is a special one). For 101, 119 setup, LNB outputs go into a 22kHz multiswitch (13v/18v inputs <--transponder multiplexing to drive up to four receivers). Receiver sends 22kHz tone to multiswitch whenever 119 satellite is accessed and switches output from 101 to 119 on the specified output line.

[This message has been edited by indadogghouse (edited 04-03-2001).]

·
Registered
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Troytn:
I have a friend that has the dish network HD system and his dual dish system came with two sw21 switches to hook up two dishes. It has input one shows sat 1 and input two has sat 2 with one output to sat receiver. Can I use one of these or two of them to run dual 18" dishes for HD directv? I assume this is dish networks "switch". I would then run the outputs of these two sw21 switches to my current DSS diplexer to run 4 directv boxes?

Would this work? I guess I could try and if not I would have to get the oval 24" dish.

I just don't see how dish and Directv would be different in this setup

As Scott stated,

DISH network and Directv uses different switches to access the multiple LNBs. You can still use your friend's dish IF and ONLY IF:

His "DISH 500" dish has 2 dual LNB, NOT the TWIN dual LNB which have the SW21 switches built in. The best way to share a dish is to get a Directv+ OVAL dish with 3 dual LNBs... with some switches and coax wiring, you can get DISH and Directv, a second Round DISH is still required for the DISH HD signal though.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my thanks for the help. I have a better understanding of what I need to do..

With all these new HD stb's being sold I hope Directv takes note and supports us with more HD programming. Maybe by xmas 2001. Keeping my fingers crossed.

------------------

Troy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.