AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a two dish setup for directv, one with a single lnb and one with a dual lnb. Having problems viewing all of the channels via the multiplexor and thinking that two single lnb's might do the trick. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
You must feed the multiplexor with dual lnbs. Single lnb will not work in a multiplexor.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So if I have 2 18" dishes with dual lnb's then I'll need a multiplexor with atleast 4 inputs? Thats what I'm thinking but just want to be sure.

Thanks for the help as I'm getting tired of switching cables back and forth.

Mitch

·
Registered
55 Posts
Two dishes, one pointed at the 101 sat and the other at the 119 sat, will give you a stronger signal than a oval dish.

You need to get a dual LNB for the second dish, and a special

4-way multiplexor. In dual sat mode, your HD-savy STB will

select among the 4 LNB outputs just like it would do with

an oval dish.

I have not been able to find pointing directions for the

119 dish itself, which will be different than the oval

dish direction. I have not had time to do the vector

math myself.

One site that seems to carry the gear needed is: http://www.starlink-dss.com

·
Registered
55 Posts
Bob,

Thanks very much for Tom Hyatt satellite pointing URL. It

also explains why my STB and Directv site info

differed on azimuth: Directv site gives azimuth relative

to magnetic North, and my STB uses true North

·
Registered
239 Posts
If I only want to use my HD STB for OTA, HBOHD and HDNET could I use a single lnb dish and feed the output directly to the Hughes E86? I would expect this to be fine but I am wondering two things:

1) Will the guide only show the channels coming from the 119 sat plus any OTA channels that I can receive?

2) With only the 119 sat, will the APG be effected in any way as far as receiving guide info for the local OTA channels? I guess I'm wondering if this comes off both 101 and 119.

The reason for this is that I have a DTivo for SD and am getting the E86 and already have an extra single lnb dish.

Thanks in advance for the help.

------------------

Casey

·
Registered
136 Posts
The best way to receive highdef on Directv is by using an oval 18x24 ecliptical dish which picks up 101 & 119 birds.

You only need one dish.

Casey,

You will need two lnbs, which the ecliptical dish has.And one thing great about this type of dish, any future additional Hd channels, you can install a third lnb for the 3rd future bird.

------------------

PeterDz

·
Registered
239 Posts
 http://www.geocities.com/dbs_tech/dishes/twodish.htm

Take a look at #104. It shows 2 round dishes (one dual lnb and one single lnb) a powered multiswitch and and a 22khz switch. This looks like what I want to do.

I already have the dual lnb dish with the multiswitch, and will be adding the single lnb dish, 22khz switch, and the HD STB.

Thanks to Kevin Timmerman for this great listing of dish configurations.

I know Kevin's site has been referenced many times before, but this is a great way to quickly add an HD STB without touching your existing setup.

------------------

Casey

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Boy Peter, it looks like a lot of cables coming out of the dish arm! I thought Sony's dish had the multiswitch attached to the back?

------------------

Mitsubishi WS-55805

RCA DRD515RB

Pioneer VSX-D608

Pioneer DV-C302D

·
Registered
136 Posts
Ragedog,

The cables from the dish goes directly in my attique.

Second, I'm not using the regular multiswitch & cables that came with the dish. I replaced it with an Eagle Aspen 5x4 multiswitch. Inorder to combine UHF feed and SAT feed.

As youv'e noticed, I did not install the multiswitch behind the dish. It's also in the attique, where it's protected from any type of weather.

------------------

PeterDz

·
Registered
239 Posts
Peter,

Thanks for the link to your pics. I really enjoy looking at different setups. I will eventually be getting an eliptical dish, but I already have an extra single lnb dish, and will only have 1 Plus receiver .

I picked up a 22 khz switch for $17 which will get me exacly what I need. I also have an Eagle Aspen multiswitch (3x8), so I will use one of the outs to feed the 22 khz switch the 101 sat and use the single lnb dish for the 119 sat feed.

Thanks for your responses. Also, check your PM.

------------------

Casey

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.