Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have my speakers (5.1) wired to a stereo/TV receiver on one side of the room. I recently added a PC & Projector on the other side.

I am wondering what would be the "best" way to set up the system to be able to select the source. And any recommendations on the needed hardware.

Should I run the PC audio output to the existing receiver & switch the inputs?

Or should I add another receiver and switch the speakers?

Or???

Suggestions please.

Thanks!

·
Registered
784 Posts
I'd run the PC audio into your receiver's S/P-DIF input and let the receiver do the switching. Easy and low cost.

Using two amplifiers to drive a single set of speakers can be done with an external switchbox. Just hooking up the two receivers to the same set of speakers will be a problem.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that's what I have done.

But to kill the hum I added a Radio Shack ground loop filter, which resulted in a pretty low "volume". Have to crank the receiver way up.

Would be interested in anyone's experience with low cost balanced line converters.

Thanks Again

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The computer audio out line runs about 40 ft - up a wall, across the attic & back down a wall. In both walls it is relatively close to 110 lines. Seems to be picking up 60 Hz or has a ground loop from the computer & receiver being on different pwr circuits.

I had similar (but less) hum when I that strung the line across the floor.

I noticed last night that I am also getting vertical banding on some channels of video - a possible sign of gnd loop problems on the video as well............

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.