AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am looking to upgrade my HTPC and going to the new sandy bridge CPU. In order to do so I need to upgrade my motherboard and am looking at the Z68 chipset. My question revolves around the spdif out connections on the back of the motherboard. Currently in my setup, I have the optical spdif on the MB going to a reciever upstairs and the coaxial to a separate reciever downstairs. This setup allows me to send the same audio signal to the two locations via the two different ouputs. I am looking for another MB which will do the same thing. I am currently considering this MSI board MSI Z68A-GD65 and would like to know if anyone is familiar with the SPDIF output? It seems like if a motherboard has both the coaxial and opticial spdif outputs onboard that they would both be active. However, when I contacted the technical support for both gigabyte and MSI they stated that it was not possible. I am not sure the technical support understood exactly what I am trying to do here. Can I assume that both spdif's will output the same audio simutaneously (clone) on any MB that contains onboard optical and coaxial?

Thanks for any help you can provide,

Scott

·
Registered
138 Posts
you could always just split the Coax, or optical output, but getting a splitter. It's another gadget to buy, but they do exist.

I'm pretty sure my Motherboard Sabertooth X58 cannot send a digital audio signal to more than one output. I've never actually looked in the manual to see if there is some hidden setting, but it wasn't obvious when I was setting up my digital audio output.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is a good suggestion too. That is my backup plan if I can't get both digital audio signals working. I was hoping to put the extra cash in the motherboard instead of into the extra equipment to do the splitting. I may just have to try the motherboard out unless someone has some actual experience with it.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
You can get a little TOSLINK splitter for $5 almost anywere, and they work. I used to use one to send the digital optical from my DirecTV box to two different places, and it worked just fine. That would be a really easy solution. Amazon and Monoprice have them. You might even be able to get one at Radio Shack.

·
Registered
501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calcvictim /forum/post/20769881

since always, show me some evidence that it can

HDMI and spdif are 2 separate sound devices and in Windows only 1 can be used at a time

+1 I'm pretty sure use of one excludes the other.

OTOH I'm pretty sure the coax and toslink are both active at the same time, but it should be easily verified. I don't use the coax because it connects the HTPC ground to the AV ground and gives me hum, but that is just my poor home electrical wiring I think. I'll make a guess that two spdif output brackets could be wired without issue to the same motherboard header too.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calcvictim /forum/post/20769881

since always, show me some evidence that it can

HDMI and spdif are 2 separate sound devices and in Windows only 1 can be used at a time

I use both at the same time in J. River Media Center. HDMI to AV receiver, and SPDIF to a receiver in another room.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Some media players (MPCHC, Zoom Player) allow you to set an audio device for playback. If you set HDMI as the preferred device in Windows it does not matter to the media player. It will output audio to the device you selected in the media player.

You may be able to build your own custom cable but I don't know if audio will be split.

Toslink = spdif, VCC, and ground.

Coaxial = spdif and ground.

You can check ebay for spdif brackets, some have coaxial and tosilink on one cable. Ask the seller if audio is split/simultaneous.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calcvictim /forum/post/20915419

I have never used jriver, so you can set 2 devices simultaneously?

Can you show me a screenshot, I am interested.

You may set many more than 2 out puts simultaneously. If I wanted to I could have HDMI in one room, SPDIF in another and a further four rooms using stereo analogue outs form my 7.1 soundcard. You just have to assign each out put to a different zone. In theory, I could add additional sound cards and utilise their outputs too.

You can even play different music to each zone or 'synch' them, which works well 90-95% of the time in my experience.

Here are some links; some are to discussions on older versions of J. River Media Center. The latest version, 16 has improved on many aspects of media organisation and playback, including zones:

OMG Zones!

A similar AVSForum thread to this one

A brief note on linking zones to play the same audio to two different outputs.

Screenshot of zones being set up. This may have changed now, but you get the idea.

·
Registered
864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit /forum/post/20915469

You may set many more than 2 out puts simultaneously. If I wanted to I could have HDMI in one room, SPDIF in another and a further four rooms using stereo analogue outs form my 7.1 soundcard. You just have to assign each out put to a different zone. In theory, I could add additional sound cards and utilise their outputs too.

You can even play different music to each zone or 'synch' them, which works well 90-95% of the time in my experience.

Here are some links; some are to discussions on older versions of J. River Media Center. The latest version, 16 has improved on many aspects of media organisation and playback, including zones:

OMG Zones!

A similar AVSForum thread to this one

A brief note on linking zones to play the same audio to two different outputs.

Screenshot of zones being set up. This may have changed now, but you get the idea.

very cool, didn't know of any software that could do that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.