AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finishing up a pair of Mini Statements and a Center channel so I am getting close to replacing my STF-2 with DIY.

My listening is 70% Music 30% Home theater, so the sound quality must be excellent. As is usually the case, when I do watch movies the sub/s would need to keep up. (Mini Statements powerd by XPA-5)

My room is 11 1/2' x 17' with 2 openings at the back.

My goal is clean, accurate but not extreeme spl, I will not be blowing off the walls.

My thoughts are;

1) 2 sealed AV12's in 2 seperate curved boxes similar to the Paradigm sub12

2) 2 AV12's in roughly 18" cubes with 2 15" passive radiators.

Both of these would be at the front corners flanking the Mini's, powered by 1 EP4000 or a plate amp each

I would like to do the AV15's but I only have room for 1.

What are your suggestions?

I would like to try a curved cabinet but if the PR version is much better then I should build that.(Only problem being the cost of 4 PR's!)

I tried modeling these in WINISD but honestly, I don't have a clue what I am looking at and how to interpret the graphs according to what I want.

The other problem is that we have AV12-H and AV12-X, it appears to me that the AV12-H does slightly better in the small cabinet sizes I am looking at.

I am aware of the tradeoffs with size and power, I am just looking to maximize performance of these speakers by building the box the right size, etc

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Knights

·
Registered
753 Posts
Knightsofni, how big is your room? If you have a small room, I would do sealed boxes as you should have enough room gain for the low bass. On the other hand, if you have a big room, I would go for the PR set-up. It would give you more low bass, specially if you have very little room gain, which is usually the case if you have a very big room.

The EP4000 amp would be the most cost effective amp for those subs, it should have enough power for both subs, specially in the PR subs, since those are more efficient for the low bass.

The AV12H sub does provide a little more low end bass and works better than the AV12X sub in a small box, it does give up a little mid-bass to the AV12X, but it's minimal. A 18" cube box would work fine with 15" PR's, for sealed, a 15-16" cube box would do fine.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi thanks Spanish68

My room is 11.5' x 17' with 8' ceilings.

As for the amps, I was thinking, Plate amp if sealed, EP4000 if I have to buy PR's cost would then be close either way.

Thanks again

Knights

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Knights,

Sorry, but I had to chime in and say great screen name!

Now back to our regularly scheduled........

dbl

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi all

So I am trying to figure this program out. Below is a 3 cu/ft box with the Linkwitz transform.

Is that what I should be using?

Also a lot of the other info does not fit on the graph (off the chart), can that be changed? (Driver excursion,etc)

My biggest fear is building something that sounds aweful, so again any direction would be helpful.

Thanks

Knights

1 - 7 of 7 Posts