AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I have a slight problem with one home theater setup (dropped frames every now and then). System consists of a Duron [email protected] and Epox 8RGA+ using integrated graphics with 256MB stick of DDR. I am just wondering if using two sticks of ram (ie dual channel) would make a difference. 2X lanczos + VMR9 seem to go over the edge slightly. Would I gain that extra 5% using two sticks of ram? I know that 3DMarks etc gain very much of the extra bandwidth but how is it with ffdshow? I have tweaked the setup to the max otherwise (182fsb + 52221T + Reclock high priority etc). Thank you.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Hi there

Installing 2 memory modules does not always get you dual channel. Most motherboards expect/require the pair of memory modules to be well matched in timing parameters. That's the reason for the availability of memory kits (two matched modules in one package).

Have you actually measured the memory performance? Memtest86+ can do that.

BTW dropped frames or video stutter has a myriad of causes/solutions .

Regards

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Finally I installed two sticks of HyperX and the problem is gone. CPU usage is constantly at about 80% which means that dual channel is very beneficial with ffdshow (at least when integrated graphics are used). No more dropped frames!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.