AVS Forum banner

581 - 588 of 588 Posts

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Just to make sure I'm setting up the HPF correctly - It is a Butterworth 12db/oct for the Alpha correct? It lists second order at 19 but doesn't say Butterworth although that seems to be what is used for the other devastators.

Yes, that’s correct.

Chris

·
Registered
601 Posts
Ok, Final update. Everything is in place, turned up, and sounds amazing. So much more headroom now. I'm definitely approaching the craziness of others around here like the OP :D So much more punch now for gunshots and explosions. I can have my bass set somewhat balanced (for a basshead) at my normal listening level and no longer have to worry about blowing something when turning it up to reference for demos. That was the goal. I always set the level for reference demos so I never had to worry about blowing something but that left my normal listening volumes a bit on the low side. That problem has been solved. I briefly thought about getting rid of my nearfields but they still add so much to the experience I'm not ready to do that yet. Still a bit quite in the sub 20hz range but not having an enclosed room is making that difficult. At some point I will probably try plugging the port and drop the tune a bit to help with that. Even running 4 Sealed HT18 with a good amount of boos isn't helping much. No casualties yet but I'll be honest, I'm a bit scared to play stuff like the bomb scene from RPO at reference level. That much sustained bass will surely bounce something off a shelf somewhere. I already have to go around and straighten all the pictures and wall clocks after running some reference demos.

Here is the current curve after integration and Audyssey. I think that low end is a lost cause until a room gets built - or maybe a BOSS platform.

Here is a nearfield sweep of one of the alphas. I think I'm ok with the way I put the pillows in there.

I also spent some additional time tweaking the Titan 630s. I've never been fully happy with them since I built them. I have done all the crossover mods mentioned by mtg90 in the design thread but they still sounded a bit bloated/muffled. They measured decent but didn't have quite the natural sound I was looking for. Obviously this design is not the original intention of the speaker and I was about to go back to the stock crossover and scrap the second woofer when I managed to try this curve in the MultEQ app.

I lowered the 100-400 range, boosted the 1-3k range and flattened the top end with a slight rise from 9-10k. Here is the actual measurement from the center channel.

It definitely sounds so much better now. Not sure if it's quite 100% there but its so much closer than it was. Demo at reference are definitely more harsh with the top end boosted but the goal of this curve was for voices sound more true in the -10 to -20 range which is where most of my movie watching takes place. I may tweak it a bit more but right now I'm much happier with them and will be keeping the second woofer on them. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Them Titan 630's are HUGE! I'm surprised you built separate subwoofer enclosures. How come you tuned the to 25hz instead of 20hz? 7 of those bad boys would be NASTY in a 7.x.6 DA setup!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Them Titan 630's are HUGE! I'm surprised you built separate subwoofer enclosures. How come you tuned the to 25hz instead of 20hz? 7 of those bad boys would be NASTY in a 7.x.6 DA setup!
Actually, I believe I built them tuned to 35hz just like the original design. I'd have to go back and look at my box design to be sure. That sweep was with the front stage set to small and the crossover set to 40Hz in the AVR. I was experimenting with several different settings and switching between large and small. As they are tuned at 35, I would like them to have some protection so I left them as small for now. I don't have enough DSP to do my own tweaking.

The reason they are separate enclosures was simply to make them more manageable. While building a single monstrous speaker has a certain "cool" factor, getting them downstairs and by myself would have been impossible. This way I can move them much easier. Also, I probably wouldn't have taken the outdoor measurements as much as I did if they weren't as easy to move around.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
So I just got back home from picking up the micro devs from Jared’s and he was gracious enough to demo his system. He said he was tweaking it last night and OMG. The Ready Player One scene he played made me giggle like a little school girl. I’m not sure I can find the right words for how intense his system is now. I could feel the pressure in my ears, it’s that insane now. His next GTG should be quite interesting. Congrats Jared and thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #587
So I just got back home from picking up the micro devs from Jared’s and he was gracious enough to demo his system. He said he was tweaking it last night and OMG. The Ready Player One scene he played made me giggle like a little school girl. I’m not sure I can find the right words for how intense his system is now. I could feel the pressure in my ears, it’s that insane now. His next GTG should be quite interesting. Congrats Jared and thanks again!

Always happy to have you over Rich! You were really giggling! You had me laughing too. It’s fricken loud. I’m not sure what the crap I did to make it that crazy, maybe just finally pushed the amps a tad, it’s making me worried about my walls though. Oh well, gotta find the weak spots!
Anyway, thanks for picking up the micros. Your gonna love them.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Always happy to have you over Rich! You were really giggling! You had me laughing too. It’s fricken loud. I’m not sure what the crap I did to make it that crazy, maybe just finally pushed the amps a tad, it’s making me worried about my walls though. Oh well, gotta find the weak spots!
Anyway, thanks for picking up the micros. Your gonna love them.

Well, whatever you did, you did well! You definitely will find the weak spots of the house now. Lol And yes, it is crazy loud!

581 - 588 of 588 Posts