AVS Forum banner

161 - 180 of 588 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
What about the HS24?
Eventually, I have to do some more tinkering. The single fold with the sub depth would get a bit tricky. I might look at an 84" box height first.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Reactions: Jk7.2

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
Tonight was the big reveal to my family. My wife said “whoa!” After the 1st of a few demos. My son actually called me when he was playing games a few days ago, right after I hooked up the micros. He said something was wrong with the subs. Lol. I’ve really tried to teach him to respect the system since he was little. So I trust him. Anyway, he could tell something was different, so he called me. And I told him it’s just the new subs! Then he was happy. When I got home he told me he tried reference volume with his games. Lol. So he was already sold.
So the family is on board! Now, if I ever quit playing and actually measure something. That will be nice. So far, these are still making me smile. My system was really missing midbass. Now I have some. And it’s a totally new experience! And we’re loving it.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Now, if I ever quit playing and actually measure something. That will be nice.
What does this mean? This can't be end game, can it? You have so many more things to build!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Tonight was the big reveal to my family. My wife said “whoa!” After the 1st of a few demos. My son actually called me when he was playing games a few days ago, right after I hooked up the micros. He said something was wrong with the subs. Lol. I’ve really tried to teach him to respect the system since he was little. So I trust him. Anyway, he could tell something was different, so he called me. And I told him it’s just the new subs! Then he was happy. When I got home he told me he tried reference volume with his games. Lol. So he was already sold.
So the family is on board! Now, if I ever quit playing and actually measure something. That will be nice. So far, these are still making me smile. My system was really missing midbass. Now I have some. And it’s a totally new experience! And we’re loving it.
Kudos on the build. Your thread has been very inspiring, I might have the join the club in the near future.

I can't wait to see the measurements!

·
Registered
747 Posts
Awesome Jared, hopefully i will have my running this week.

Femi

Reactions: Jk7.2

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
Should I have lined these cabs with a mattress topper or denim insulation? Just curious.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Should I have lined these cabs with a mattress topper or denim insulation? Just curious.
Not necessary for 100Hz crossovers or less, but chatting with @jujuman200 he did some rear chamber lining in his. It gives them a slightly warmer tone. It took away a little of the ringing. I have not tried a pillow in the base of the rear chamber yet.

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
Not necessary for 100Hz crossovers or less, but chatting with @jujuman200 he did some rear chamber lining in his. It gives them a slightly warmer tone. It took away a little of the ringing. I have not tried a pillow in the base of the rear chamber yet.

Ok. I’m gonna try some lining. These do tend to have a non-warm feel to them. That may help them blend better with the red hot warm hst’s.

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #172 (Edited)
Measurement time. Here’s the setup with just front subs, devastators, and mains. No rear subs or nearfield. Also, no care was taken to adjust anything. Just measuring the suggested active crossover settings from post 55 for the 2 way front sub setup.

Orange = only hst’s lp at 50hz
Blue = only devastators hp at 50hz
Green = hst’s and devastators together
Light blue = hst’s, dev’s, and mains.

That’s a nearfield measurement of one devastator.
All measurements taken at -10 MV.
All but nearfield taken from MLP

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
Is this is with rear subs added. Look at the help they provide, until just after 40hz. Then some cancellation with devastators happens. I’ll apply the LP filter, and it will change that for the better I’m sure.

So look again, nearfield added. Red line. Helpful until 50hz. Then cancellation. I’ll fix this too.

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
All done. Here are some results.

Green line is with devastators HP at 60. 12db per octave. And I kept raising hst’s LP from 60, up 5 hz at a time, and the line kept improving. Landed on 75, everything was still additive, so kept that.
This is now with all subs added. Rears are low passed at 70. Same with nearfield. Everything seems to be playing nice.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Is this is with rear subs added. Look at the help they provide, until just after 40hz. Then some cancellation with devastators happens. I’ll apply the LP filter, and it will change that for the better I’m sure.

So look again, nearfield added. Red line. Helpful until 50hz. Then cancellation. I’ll fix this too.

Try reversing the phase on the dev’s.

I’d bump the hpf up a bit too, loose the hump at 60 for the fronts. May also help with cancellation.

Looking good.

EDIT: You beat me to it, lol. Looks like a nice response graph now.

Chris

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
Here is one for fun. This is a comparison of sweeps at -2, almost reference. Before devastators and after. I think these are both smoothed 1/6

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Here is one for fun. This is a comparison of sweeps at -2, almost reference. Before devastators and after. I think these are both smoothed 1/6

Went from lacking midbass to hot midbass with just two little woofers added to a very powerful system.
Hows the listening impressions now that its tuned?

Chris

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
Went from lacking midbass to hot midbass with just two little woofers added to a very powerful system.
Hows the listening impressions now that its tuned?

Chris

It’s awesome. I’m so excited. Helicopters, gunshots, thunderstorms, motorcycles, these things have exploded to life.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
It’s awesome. I’m so excited. Helicopters, gunshots, thunderstorms, motorcycles, these things have exploded to life.

Awesome. Glad to hear you’re enjoying it so much.

I also just realized I’ve been hanging out here too much, since I just called a pair of 15” large coil woofers with high power handling and decent xmax “little”.

Chris

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
I also just realized I’ve been hanging out here too much, since I just called a pair of 15” large coil woofers with high power handling and decent xmax “little”.

Chris
Well you do have nearly 600 posts since joining in August:p This place is addictive.

Reactions: Purenv and a77cj7
161 - 180 of 588 Posts