Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

Just getting into HTPC but have a few quick questions. They might be really dumb but here goes.

I already got a 3ghz pentium pc in my room and want to utilise it for my HTPC purposes of running my barco crt proector in the next room. Dont wanna fork out for a whole new pc just for the barco so my question is, can the nvidia or ati cards run dual display at different resolutions? Im using a 19" LCD in the bedroom runnning 1280x1024 but i want to be able to run DVD on the second monitor output at 1920x1080 for the projector simultaniously. Does this sound stupid? I need the ability to be able to use the computer for regular application at the same time as running a DVD in the second room. Dont mind forking out for a good grafix card but just wanna make sure it will do what i want. The second output will be dedicated for the projector.

Cheers guys.

Scott

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
This shouldn't be an issue, at least it hasn't been a problem running two different monitors at different resolutions on my Mac from the same card. I am assuming it wouldn't be an issue for you.

·
Registered
525 Posts
All dual head ATI cards will allow you to do what you want. i have an ati 9700 card. the vga head is connected my computer monitor and i do regular computer work there. the dvi head is connected to my hdtv thru the component dongle. i watch dvd's etc on this head. you will need to setup extended desktop mode (which allows separate resolutions on each head) and set up your dvd player software to display on the head of your choice.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Big Foot
This is exactly what I want to do. However, ATI's website says this no worky click here and then read the answer for Q8 (unless you have the AIW). Are you using the non-AIW 9700 with this dongle?
I wonder about the accuracy of that, but that aside...

Why do you need component output? You're connecting to an LCD monitor and a projector; I imagine the LCD monitor can take either VGA or DVI, and most projectors can take RGBHV (ie, VGA with 5 BNC connectors) input and many can take DVI as well.

You don't need the component dongle to do 1920x1080p resolution, either. If the driver won't let you set that resolution without it, try updating your drivers, and if that doesn't enable the resolution, give Powerstrip a try.

·
Registered
525 Posts

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bambam_101
Hi all.

Just getting into HTPC but have a few quick questions. They might be really dumb but here goes.

I already got a 3ghz pentium pc in my room and want to utilise it for my HTPC purposes of running my barco crt proector in the next room. Dont wanna fork out for a whole new pc just for the barco so my question is, can the nvidia or ati cards run dual display at different resolutions? Im using a 19" LCD in the bedroom runnning 1280x1024 but i want to be able to run DVD on the second monitor output at 1920x1080 for the projector simultaniously. Does this sound stupid? I need the ability to be able to use the computer for regular application at the same time as running a DVD in the second room. Dont mind forking out for a good grafix card but just wanna make sure it will do what i want. The second output will be dedicated for the projector.

Cheers guys.

Scott

I do EXACTLY what you want to do, except I have a NEC crt projector. My PC is in the next room to the pj, works a treat.

Almost any video card will do what you want, just make sure it has dual heads. All this talk of component dongles is irrelevant.

Your ability to use the pc while watchng a dvd will depend on how much (if any) post processing/resizing you choose to do to the dvd image.

If you live in Melbourne you can come and take a look.

Mark

PS. Unless you have a 9" Barco, 1920x1080 is probably too high a res, unless interlaced.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Mark,

I was specifically asking about a discrepancy between ATI's FAQ and araghava's first-hand experience. Thanks for the invite though, if you were in Melbourne, Florida I would take you up on it!

araghava,

Thanks for the information. ATI "misinformation" has kept me from pulling the trigger on the Radeon purchase for quite some time. Now I just have to decide which Radeon to buy. Pity Newegg is out of stock on the dongle.

·
Registered
525 Posts
you can purchase the dongle directly from ati. not sure if they have it in stock though.

mark, the dongle is necessary for those of us who have only component connections on our HDTV's.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Big Foot
Mark,

I was specifically asking about a discrepancy between ATI's FAQ and araghava's first-hand experience. Thanks for the invite though, if you were in Melbourne, Florida I would take you up on it!

araghava,

Thanks for the information. ATI "misinformation" has kept me from pulling the trigger on the Radeon purchase for quite some time. Now I just have to decide which Radeon to buy. Pity Newegg is out of stock on the dongle.
It's Bambam_101's thread, I was talking to him, I even quoted him..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.