AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am trying to do the dual HD upgrade to a ReplayTv PVHS 2000. It had a 30gig quantum drive, and I am trying to add a maxtor 7200 rpm 60 gig drive to it. i purchased a couple Y power connectors and an auxiliary fan, did a low level format on the maxtor and then ran the patch from the hacking project website with the quantum as the main hd and the maxtor as the slave.

I think I did everything correctly, but when I plug it all in together and turn it on, it sits on 'please wait a few moments' forever, but never changes screens. Im wondering if I missed a step, or if maybe i need to run a different patch version or something because my system is so old. I also read something about write verification, but i cant figure out how to turn that off.

I am also wondering how to make my maxtor be the primary drive, as it is by far the better drive, and if logic serves me correctly the primary drive will be the one used most frequently.

Please help, Im about to run this thing over with my car! Thanks a bunch to anyone who can assist me!

edit\\

I am also reading that its better to do only 1 drive, I can live with that, i just want to get this thing working

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
check the jumpers on both drives, try

1) quantum as master, maxtor as slave

2) both as cable select

3) quantum as cable select, maxtor as slave

4) quantum as master, maxtor as cable select

(the maxtor should be plugged into the middle connector on the IDE cable, the quantum on the end...other end into the motherboard)

come back here if that don't work

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Most important thing is the way you use the patch program...

I think you need to:

2 Drive system

Select drive 1 (quantum)

Select Drive 2 (maxtor)

Copy the system (make sure you are using the right file set!!)

Patch the drive

Install a fan in you ShowStopper. The heat will cause you all sorts of problems adding a 7200 RPM drive. That thing runs 33% faster and that's going to be hotter. The second drive just makes it worse. Remember to place the fan in to push the air OUT not IN. Drawing air will alllow cool air to come from all the vents in the replay case.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff D
Most important thing is the way you use the patch program...

I think you need to:

2 Drive system

Select drive 1 (quantum)

Select Drive 2 (maxtor)

Copy the system (make sure you are using the right file set!!)

Patch the drive

Install a fan in you ShowStopper. The heat will cause you all sorts of problems adding a 7200 RPM drive. That thing runs 33% faster and that's going to be hotter. The second drive just makes it worse. Remember to place the fan in to push the air OUT not IN. Drawing air will alllow cool air to come from all the vents in the replay case.
no - all you should do

1) change top-right button from "single drive system" to "double drive system"

2) highlight the quantum drive and click SET next to the "1st Drive"

3) highlight the maxtor drive and click SET next to the "2nd Drive"

4) click on "make 2-drive system"

that's it...there's no need to copy or patch anything

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Yer right on the no need to copy, thought I read a LLF was done. Sorry that was the wrong drive.

I thought the "patch" was a dumbe extra move that should have been covered in the "make 2 drive", but I remember some folks saying the needed to do a patch after. The extra patch can't hurt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.