AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what i've read, it sounds like I need to convert my two drive system to a single drive system. then, upgrade it again to a dual drive system.

are there any sites that describe this process?

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
To take drive 1 of a two drive system and turn it into a single drive all that is required is to set drive 1 as target and click on "patch target drive". Answer yes to all prompts. The only exception is with replay 4000/4500 and 5000 recorders, answer NO to do you want large clusters.

Single and dual upgrade instruction links are found in the middle of this page http://rtvpatch.sourceforge.net/utility.html

·
Registered
264 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mikeyboy
To take drive 1 of a two drive system and turn it into a single drive all that is required is to set drive 1 as target and click on "patch target drive". Answer yes to all prompts. The only exception is with replay 4000/4500 and 5000 recorders, answer NO to do you want large clusters.

Single and dual upgrade instruction links are found in the middle of this page http://rtvpatch.sourceforge.net/utility.html
So there's no way to do it without reformatting the MPEG partition?

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
The ReplayTV system only uses the 2nd drive when it needs to, so if you don't have a lot of shows recorded they may all reside on the first drive. If that's the case, converting from a dual drive to a single drive by just patching will keep the shows that exist on the first drive. (Provided you do not reformat the MPEG partition). Then you use RTVPatch to copy that drive to a new larger drive, verify the new single drive works, then do the 2 drive upgrade process to add the 2nd drive and don't reformat the MPEG partition. Been there, done that, worked every time for me but: I didn't have many shows recorded so they all resided on the first drive and your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by zabolots
So there's no way to do it without reformatting the MPEG partition?
There is no easy way to preserve shows going from 2-drive to 2-drive setups, but technically it can be done. In Unix, with appropriate hand calculations of drive sizes and offsets, it could be done using the 'dd' command.

Changing RTVPatch to do this is left as an exercise for whoever wants to preserve their shows badly enough. The source code is available... ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.