AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 718 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I ran the subs through their paces tonight. Consider this round 1 of 3. My CS 18.2's are in the back corners and the DTS-10's are in the front corners. The back corners give me much more output so I did not want a volume thing decide. I played 3 movies, The Dark Night, X-men last stand, and Transformers 2. I used 2 scenes each. This was basically to get used to the Dayton amps that came in today. I don't like the back corners because I prefer the bass to hit me from the front. The front subs ports are 14 feet away and the back subs(CS 18.2's) are 7 feet away, maybe 6. I calibrated both of them flat and turned my new Krell HTS 7.1(I love this thing) to reference levels. With them level matched the bass from the Danley's walked all over the CS 18.2's no matter what scene. The Danley's had bass where the CS 18.2's seemed silent. The midbass seemed on par with each other so kudos to CHT because the Danley's are $3000 each although it seems you can get them much cheaper in todays economy. The Danley's just had more visceral rumble, shake, pulse waves, and the punch or midbass was similar(I just said that). I knew something has to be wrong because at Craig's the CS 18.2's were calibrated 3 db's hot and they were not silent at all. So I turned the CS 18.2's up to a level where it felt similar to the Danley's. In doing so the CS 18's became much more alive and visceral but seemed to be more audible than the Danley. What I mean is during TF2 when Sam gets blown up by Megatron there is a strong bass wave. The Danley's are pretty quiet until he lands and then you feel the air wave move your hair and clothes, a very cool effect. The CS 18.2's at first did nothing with that scene. So when I turned it up (when he gets blasted) the CS's had audible bass then you could feel the air move across but not as strong. The Danley's were quiet then the wave hit so maybe that dynamic swing made the wave feel stronger. I kept the CS 18.2's at this level for the rest of my tests because now they were doing something. The DTS-10's and the CS 18.2's just do it differently. I had no idea what level I turned the CS 18.2's were anymore(I will get to that later) but the midbass seemed to strong but now I can feel everything the Danley's were doing, even though slightly different. Now this is only Round 1 which is no EQ and different placements. It is very easy going back and forth as all I have to do is turn the DTS-10's Ashly amps off and turn the Daytons on. My next round will be measuring them and see why there is such a difference and try to level or match the responses using the same positions. Round 3 will be moving the CS 18.2's to where the Danley's are which will be more difficult for them but should still hit reference with no problems in my room. I will start with no EQ and then measure and EQ.


Here is the question, for the CS 18.2's to have similar low end performance(pulse waves, pants flapping, back vibrating, room shaking, etc....) the CS 18.2's had to be turned up 8 db's over reference to match the Danley's at reference. Basically the Danley's calibrated at 75 db's and the CS 18.2's were at 83 db's. The good news is that the CS 18.2's played that level with no problems and the amps never even got warm. The problem is the midbass is too hot and you can hear too much low level bass which makes the pulse or bass waves seem less impressive. I need to measure and EQ the CS 18.2's. I probably just have to tame a large peak at 50hz or something. I want suggestions on how as EQ is not my strength, meaning what Q does and such.


BTW, the Krell HTS 7.1 is awesome.

Andreas you missed a bass fest tonight as both played about 10db's louder than last night. Me likey!!!


The CS 18.2's reminded me of my 8 eD subs but with much better midbass. This is just the beginning and not drawing any conclusions yet. I may even try the Daytons on my Danley's just for fun. I will take pics of the rack, daytons, and the room setup.


Anyone with any suggestions is welcome as I want to try to cover as much as possible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike /forum/post/19507987


Measurements please before any suggestions.

Of course, Last night was to just get the feel of the CS 18.2's. I have much to do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
410 Posts
Any chance you have some pics???



I don't read for the articles...LOL!


EDIT: CRAP! Maybe I should read the entire post before asking questions. OOPS!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,407 Posts
MK...wish I was there to play ...I mean help intergrate the subs.



You've got a couple of things going that is going to make it very difficult. I'd be taking a close look at the efficiency of the DTS-10s vs. the CS 18.2s. If they're much different, I don't see how they'll keep up with each other level wise.


The other thing that will make life difficult is going to be how the different models of subs handle different ends of the room. A good starting point is probably to run REW or similar software with each type of sub at each end of the room. That'll tell you if their placement is optomized.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't get me started on pics because I tend to go nuts with them. I will post them since I need pics of the new front stage anyways.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaxtros /forum/post/19508813


Is the Danley sealed or ported?

It's a horn tuned to 12 hz.


Here is what I found out.


I left all the settings on the Dayton amps alone except the gain to calibrate the CS 18.2's. Well, the EQ on the Dayton was engaged and I left all the setting to the left. If you guys look at the Dayton that means I put a 14 dbs null from 16-20hz. No wonder I had to turn the CS 18.2's up that high. This makes so much sense because my room gain counteracts this and I do not need to crank it up 14 db's over the Danley's. Like I said, I will take pics tonight and run them again but with the EQ disengaged or set to 0. This is so much fun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater /forum/post/19508937


It's a horn tuned to 12 hz.


Here is what I found out.


I left all the settings on the Dayton amps alone except the gain to calibrate the CS 18.2's. Well, the EQ on the Dayton was engaged and I left all the setting to the left. If you guys look at the Dayton that means I put a 14 dbs null from 16-20hz. No wonder I had to turn the CS 18.2's up that high.

I did that exact same thing when I received my 18.1. All the way left is -14db and 0db is at 2o'clock?? what's up with that Dayton?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric9h /forum/post/19508959


I did that exact same thing when I received my 18.1. All the way left is -14db and 0db is at 2o'clock?? what's up with that Dayton?

Not Daytons fault, owner's fault. I should have read the manual. Not a problem as I know these things take time to dial in. I have a good feeling about these CS 18.2's. I already know the Midbass can pound 13 db's above reference levels without strain to the amp or drivers in my room. I love my room. Don't try that in as bigger room.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater /forum/post/19508981


Not Daytons fault, owner's fault. I should have read the manual. Not a problem as I know these things take time to dial in. I have a good feeling about these CS 18.2's. I already know the Midbass can pound 13 db's above reference levels without strain to the amp or drivers in my room. I love my room. Don't try that in as bigger room.

You're a better man than I. I'm not as quick to mea culpa.



User error? Never!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric9h /forum/post/19509010


You're a better man than I. I'm not as quick to mea culpa.



User error? Never!

I have done this too many times to care about messing up, it happens, especially when you compare as many times as I do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,540 Posts
will you be able to place the cs subs in the exact same spot that the danley's currently reside in? i think that would be a very meaningful test as to which one has best output and mdbass slam. i never found rear subs to be very convincing in comparison to front stage ones. i don't know, maybe its just my thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,407 Posts
If we're speculating, I'd speculate that the Danleys may do the deep bass better and parking them in the rear of the room would work best. Or maybe use them as a riser for the second row of seats.


Then the CS18.2s in the front with the better mid bass slam.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
473 Posts
I want to make sure I am stying up to date on this thread. This is going to be interesting to say the least with the amount of tesing you will be doing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony A. /forum/post/19509402


will you be able to place the cs subs in the exact same spot that the danley's currently reside in? i think that would be a very meaningful test as to which one has best output and mdbass slam. i never found rear subs to be very convincing in comparison to front stage ones. i don't know, maybe its just my thing.

I agree and that will be my last tests. The Danley's are more powerful for sure, but the rear room gives the advantage to the CS 18.2's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP /forum/post/19509436


If we're speculating, I'd speculate that the Danleys may do the deep bass better and parking them in the rear of the room would work best. Or maybe use them as a riser for the second row of seats.


Then the CS18.2s in the front with the better mid bass slam.

You are right, this is speculation. The CS 18.2's don't have better midbass slam, I just had them 8 db's higher for that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,195 Posts
I saw the cht speakers in your webalbum


those little 10's look so cute next to the butt crack horns you have.


How does the speaker sound compared to your big jbl's?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz
I saw the cht speakers in your webalbum


those little 10's look so cute next to the butt crack horns you have.


How does the speaker sound compared to your big jbl's?
Like little versions of them.
 
1 - 20 of 718 Posts
Top