AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is everyone just buying universal films that interest them on hd and everything else on Bluray? That is what i am doing. I have 3 (batman, superman 1 and 2) warner titles and 1 paramount title (MI3) in hd-dvd but i got those before i had my blu ray player. All my other duel format purchases- the unforgiven, Superman returns, the searchers, world trade center- have been on blu ray and i plan to keep it that way from now on. Just curious what others are doing

·
Registered
2,871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edvedder /forum/post/0

Is everyone just buying universal films that interest them on hd and everything else on Bluray? That is what i am doing. I have 3 (batman, superman 1 and 2) warner titles and 1 paramount title (MI3) in hd-dvd but i got those before i had my blu ray player. All my other duel format purchases- the unforgiven, Superman returns, the searchers, world trade center- have been on blu ray and i plan to keep it that way from now on. Just curious what others are doing

You are doing exactly what I am doing. I buy everything on Blu-ray and if Universal comes out with a movie I can't live without, I get it on HD-DVD. It looks like Universal may be going neutral sooner then I thought though. I predict they will be neutral or releasing on TotalHD discs by the winter of 2007.

~Josh

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatboy77 /forum/post/0

You are doing exactly what I am doing. I buy everything on Blu-ray and if Universal comes out with a movie I can't live without, I get it on HD-DVD. It looks like Universal may be going neutral sooner then I thought though. I predict they will be neutral or releasing on TotalHD discs by the winter of 2007.

~Josh

If and when that happens do u think it will be a long while before they re release the titles that are already out now for HD-dvd (on the blu ray format that is)? Warner is doing blu ray now but we still dont have Batman begins or Smallville season 5. I really want smallville but i have been holding out in hopes that warner puts it out in blu ray.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edvedder /forum/post/0

If and when that happens do u think it will be a long while before they re release the titles that are already out now for HD-dvd (on the blu ray format that is)? Warner is doing blu ray now but we still dont have Batman begins or Smallville season 5. I really want smallville but i have been holding out in hopes that warner puts it out in blu ray.

My prediction would be that from the date they decide to go neutral/TotalHD they would then release everything on both formats or TotalHD and then re-release all of their HD-DVD titles on Blu-ray/TotalHD and do it quickly.

Also, do not worry about WB putting out Smallville. They will do it soon enough. Once of their president's said all of their current HD-DVD releases will be available on Blu-ray shortly.

~Josh

·
Registered
6,079 Posts

Quote:

~Josh

There is no need whatsoever for Universal to go neutral. Universal was the keynote speaker for HD DVD at this year's CES if I remember correctly, and 6 new CE companies just joined the HD DVD camp. I honestly don't think they will ever support Blu-ray.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher /forum/post/0

There is no need whatsoever for Universal to go neutral. Universal was the keynote speaker for HD DVD at this year's CES if I remember correctly, and I honestly don't think they will ever support Blu-ray.

There is too much money to be lost by not going to Blu-ray. Universal's stockholders will demand it. It would be bad business not to.

~Josh

·
Registered
6,079 Posts

Quote:

There is too much money to be lost by not going to Blu-ray. Universal's stockholders will demand it. It would be bad business not to.

~Josh

I think that Fox and Disney will release on HD DVD way before Universal would ever consider supporting Blu-ray. By then, there would not be any real incentive for Universal to go neutral with mass adoption of HD DVD.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I pretty much buy Blu Ray whenever possible. I have two blu ray players and only one HD DVD player.

If there is something on HD DVD that I really want, I will pick it up. That is the reason having both formats is nice. Don't have to miss anything.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts

Quote:

I think that Fox and Disney will release on HD DVD way before Universal would ever consider supporting Blu-ray. By then, there would not be any real incentive for Universal to go neutral with mass adoption of HD DVD.

Since HD-DVD has been hacked and movies downloaded, no way will Fox and Disney go neutral. They are more firmly in Blu-ray's corner now, more then ever.

~Josh

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I'm doing exactly the opposite. I'm only picking up Blu-ray when there is no HD DVD alternative. Even though, I have both HD DVD and Blu-ray, I still think HD DVD will become the main stream format for HD content, with Blu-ray being reserved for premium content much like 2 disc SE DVDs are today.

·
Registered
6,079 Posts

Quote:

Since HD-DVD has been hacked and movies downloaded, no way will Fox and Disney go neutral. They are more firmly in Blu-ray's corner now, more then ever.

~Josh

New keys for titles, software players will be updated, AACS was designed for this. We'll be seeing a number of Blu-ray movies released into the wild shortly, PowerDVD/WinDVD compromises the keys of Blu-ray as well, Muslix64 confirmed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xradman /forum/post/0

I'm doing exactly the opposite. I'm only picking up Blu-ray when there is no HD DVD alternative. Even though, I have both HD DVD and Blu-ray, I still think HD DVD will become the main stream format for HD content, with Blu-ray being reserved for premium content much like 2 disc SE DVDs are today.

This seems to be what more dual format owners are doing overall.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts

Quote:

I think this year will determine where studios move or don't move for 2008. It's still too early to call it one way or the other, but I think BD is going to come out on top.

I've supported both platforms for a while now, and I'm losing interest in the HD-DVD side. I bought HD-DVD for Serenity, King Kong, and a couple of other Universal pictures titles, as well as the discs that Warner hasn't released on BD, including my imported copy of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. But that was 2006. In 2007, I'm looking at buying nearly exclusive BD versions of films.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts

Quote:

I think that Fox and Disney will release on HD DVD way before Universal would ever consider supporting Blu-ray.

You need to do a little searching on the recent CES. I will help you start, checkout the title announcement by Fox and Disney for BD. Then checkout the title announcement by Universal for HD DVD.

·
Registered
6,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland /forum/post/0

You need to do a little searching on the recent CES. I will help you start, checkout the title announcement by Fox and Disney for BD. Then checkout the title announcement by Universal for HD DVD.

Universal was the keynote speaker for HD DVD and announced that there would be 300 additional HD DVD titles in 2007, including anime titles from Bandai (and not to mention the titles that adult studios announced recently). Unlike Blu-ray, the HD DVD camp also announced new CE companies joining their side (Shinco-Venturer, Alco, Lite-On -- their parent companies produce a tremendous number of DVD players worldwide, not necessarily under those name brands but under many others, including many Japanese CE companies), Onkyo, Meridian, Alpine, a new Microsoft/Broadcom HD DVD solution, more interactivity, triple-layer 51GB HD DVDs in the future (current players need only be updated via firmware), a 1080P HD DVD player by Toshiba at MSRP $599. Even LG, which was firmly in the Blu-ray camp, announced support for HD DVD with their dual format player.

The only thing that Blu-ray did was announce titles and pronounce themselves the winner. That was it. They had nothing else. The BDA can no longer claim they have the only real 1080p players. They can no longer claim that they will always offer superior storage (aside from their 200GB pipe dream). They can no longer claim that HD DVD has no CE backers. I could go on, but I won't. You get the point.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I am buying dual format titles on HD dvd and BD titles only when they are exclusives because the HD dvd versions are usually superior in PQ. But I am really enjoying my BD player (ps3) and I like how fast it is compared to my painfully slow xa1.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Boy you must be on the company kool aid tonight.

Quote:

51GB HD DVDs in the future (current players need only be updated via firmware),

Pure speculation. Where is the proof in that.

Quote:

a 1080P HD DVD player by Toshiba at MSRP $599.

And the PS3 is a 1080p player for $500

Quote:

Even LG, which was firmly in the Blu-ray camp, announced support for HD DVD with their dual format player.

And the HD DVD camp is going to try and stop that player in its tracks because it is touted as a Blu Ray player that plays HD DVD's. Also it doesn't conform to HD DVD specs (inHD). In fact aren't they trying to stop it all ready?

Quote:

I could go on, but I won't. You get the point.

Yes your points are so.......pointless.

·
Registered
243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant /forum/post/0

I am really enjoying my BD player (ps3) and I like how fast it is compared to my painfully slow xa1.

Yeah, my XA2 seems very slow compared to my PS3.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts

Quote:

Universal was the keynote speaker for HD DVD and announced that there would be 300 additional HD DVD titles in 2007, including anime titles from Bandai (and not to mention the titles that adult studios announced recently). Unlike Blu-ray, the HD DVD camp also announced new CE companies joining their side (Shinco-Venturer, Alco, Lite-On -- their parent companies produce a tremendous number of DVD players worldwide, not necessarily under those name brands but under many others, including many Japanese CE companies), Onkyo, Meridian, Alpine, a new Microsoft/Broadcom HD DVD solution, more interactivity, triple-layer 51GB HD DVDs in the future (current players need only be updated via firmware), a 1080P HD DVD player by Toshiba at MSRP $599. Even LG, which was firmly in the Blu-ray camp, announced support for HD DVD with their dual format player.

The only thing that Blu-ray did was announce titles and pronounce themselves the winner. That was it. They had nothing else. The BDA can no longer claim they have the only real 1080p players. They can no longer claim that they will always offer superior storage (aside from their 200GB pipe dream). They can no longer claim that HD DVD has no CE backers. I could go on, but I won't. You get the point.

Very good points.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
You said:
Quote:

I think that Fox and Disney will release on HD DVD way before Universal would ever consider supporting Blu-ray.

I said:
Quote:

Then you reply with a post that did not address TITLE ANNOUNCEMENTS.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.