AVS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

AVS Forum Guru's -

Need some help on this one, I have a 58VT25 (totally awesome by the way) and a TX-SR606. My idea is to have a 3D video from my pc (XBMC) displayed on the TV with HD audio via the AVR.

Here is what I would like to see (similar to the dual HDMI BD player - Panasonic DMP-BDT310)

Audio: PC --> SR-TX606 (HD Audio Codecs supported)

VideoL PC --> Pannasonic 58VT25

Since the AVR does not support both video and audio via the same HDMI connection, I have to split it. I have looked around and there doesn't seem to be a way to get this done.

1. HDMI splitter does not work as none will process HD audio (they will down convert to the lowest audio channel on the receiving end ie. the TV)

2. There doesn't seem to be a dual HDMI video card available other than the nVidia HD 5450, but this seems to cheap to be able to do what I want. Could this work?

3. Dual video cards needed? Seems a little excessive no?

I have looked everywhere and can't seem to find an answer for this. Please help...

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
If you're using Win7, set your tv as display 1 and your avr as display 2. Extend you desktop to display 2 and your avr should be receiving HD bitstreams. Using a dvi to hdmi cable between the video and tv will be fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you audit13. I researched some more and what I think I can do is use an nVidia GT430 card and do the following:

Video Out DVI --> HDMI (converted) --> AVR

Vidoe Out HDMI --> TV.

Then in Ubunutu specify that the audio goes to the AVR. I am going to try that and hopefully it will work.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aosbeck /forum/post/20862079

Thank you audit13. I researched some more and what I think I can do is use an nVidia GT430 card and do the following:

Video Out DVI --> HDMI (converted) --> AVR

Vidoe Out HDMI --> TV.

Then in Ubunutu specify that the audio goes to the AVR. I am going to try that and hopefully it will work.

If you send the signal to your avr via dvi/hdmi cable, will your avr be receiving an HD bistream, i.e. DTS-MA or TrueHD?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 /forum/post/20862211

If you send the signal to your avr via dvi/hdmi cable, will your avr be receiving an HD bistream, i.e. DTS-MA or TrueHD?

I am hoping so. From what I have seen that is true. I have just ordered my GT 430 from newegg.com so I will wait and see.

·
Registered
444 Posts
You must post in the FAQ for The 3D htpc thread.

I think dual audio is supported only by nvidia and intel HD2000/3000.

The GT430 will propably be capable for doing that.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
You don't need dual hdmi for audio. You can get audio out of dvi with ATI/Nvidia/and Intel. ATI likes the adapter for 4XXX series and I use an hdmi adapter from Walmart for Nvidia and Intel. After rereading you seem to be asking for simultaneous hdmi audio output. Windows audio does not allow this afaik. Maybe JRiver can. I know there are many splitters for optical audio.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have hooked everything up and it seems that I might not be able to do this. I have an HDMI cord coming from the gpu to the tv and one from the dvi port to the avr. I only get a picture when I unplug the dvi cord...darn!

So is there a setting to route the audio via dvi to avr and at the same time route the video from hdmi to the hdmi on the tv?

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
What 3D video format are you sending? TX-SR606 supports all 3D video + audio except for "Frame packing".

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it was my understanding that the TX-SR606 cannot handle both the 3D picture (real3d) along with audio (TrueHD) since it is not 1.4 compliant. If I am wrong then please let me know.

All I want to do is load my pc up with 3D content, watch it either via XBMC or VLC player on my 58VT25, through the SR606. Is that possible?

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
RealD 3D is a 3D *display* technology. *Delivering* 3D video signal over HDMI is different. Typical 3D video formats over HDMI are:

- Frame packing

- Side by Side (Half)

- Top and Bottom

- Interlaced

- Checkerboard

Only Frame Packing requires a HDMI 1.4a AVR to get audio from the signal. All the other formats are basically HDMI 1.3 (i.e. a HDMI 1.3 AVR can understand where audio is located in the TMDS signal). Currently Frame Packing is supported only with the following combination:

- Source: BR 3D (optical disc or ISO or BD folder)

- Player: TotalMedia Theatre 5 or PowerDVD 10/11

- Graphic card: Intel HD Graphics 2k/3k, Radeon HD 5xxx/6xxx, GeForce

If you use XBMC or VLC, then the 3D video format is definitely not Frame packing (you have to use TMT or PDVD for this purpose), so a HDMI 1.3 AVR is enough to get video/audio in a single HDMI cable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank you for the clarification....I have been searching everywhere for how to handle this. I have read the some bluray players have dual hdmi out just for legacy avrs. But from what you are saying that is not needed.

Basically burn the 3d bluray to iso, then run it with TMT of PDVD and it should be fine? TrueHD/MasterHD and all?

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aosbeck /forum/post/20913115

Basically burn the 3d bluray to iso, then run it with TMT of PDVD and it should be fine? TrueHD/MasterHD and all?

If you rip BR 3D to ISO, use TMT/PDVD with, say, GeForce GT 430, then the output 3D video format will be Frame packing, which SR-TX606 can't understand, hence no audio (video still works). In this case you will have to use two HDMI cables:

- GT 430 HDMI (or DVI) -> TV

- GT 430 DVI (or HDMI) -> AVR

and use the extended desktop mode; you will get 3D video on your TV and HD audio bitstreaming on our AVR. DVI (with a DVI to HDMI adapter) and HDMI are functionally the same.

Avoid AMD Radeon HD 6xxx, that does not support the above configuration.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Let me check this out and let you know. The whole time I thought that what I had to do, so i plugged it in the way you described:

- GT 430 HDMI (or DVI) -> TV

- GT 430 DVI (or HDMI) -> AVR

but didn't do the extended desktop mode. doh!

Thanks again...I see your posts all over so thanks for all the help that you provide. If you lived in houston, i would offer you a beer and to let you see my setup.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I tried:

- GT 430 HDMI -> TV

- GT 430 DVI -> AVR

This lead to good picture but no sound. So now my next test is to change to:

- GT 430 DVI -> TV

- GT 430 HDMI -> AVR

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Do you see your AVR name in the sound control panel? This is the first step to get audio.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have linux (ubuntu 11.04) therefore the sound preferences only show HDMI input selections. I have since changed to:

- GT 430 DVI -> TV

- GT 430 HDMI -> AVR

but cannot get the sound working. I am thinking that I might have messed something up with the install of the audio devices in ubuntu and will need to reinstall from scratch.

The AVR is showing the single but now sound...man this is rather frustrating in just trying to get the WHOLE 3d HTPC thing working. I am almost to the point of going out and buying a newer receiver.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had an older Pioneer VSX-91TXH HDMI 1.3a receiver, which was replaced with a Yamaha RX-A700 HDMI 1.4 receiver, all for getting 3D with HD audio. I ended up getting a GT440 a week back and thanks to renethx's advice, I did the following with my nvidia GT440.

GT440 -> HDMI -> Projector

GT440 -> DVI/HDMI adaptor -> Pioneer AVR

I get perfect 3D playback with HD audio. Oh...this is on a windows 7 32-bit machine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I hooked it up as below:

- GT 430 DVI -> TV

- GT 430 HDMI -> AVR

Got the sound working after re-installing ubuntu. Now though, there is no sound for XBMC. Everything else has sound, but XBMC. I am going to try and post on their boards and see if someone has answer there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts