AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to drive 5 different monitors from a single computer. As I only have a one AGP slot I need to find some decent PCI video cards. I'd prefer for each of them to have 2 VGA outs to cut down on the number of slots I need to take up. Picture quality isn't that important since they will just be displaying data. Anyone know of such cards??

-apnar

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
If I remember correctly Matrox had a PCI version of their first G400 Dual Head. But I might be wrong. :cool:

·
Registered
92 Posts
About 4 years ago right before Windows 2000 was released, a webmaster for the company I was working for bought a Quad Video PCI Card. It came with special drivers to make it work on NT4, but I at least know they exist. I seem to remember it wasnt made by any MFG you would consider a well known from the PC Standpoint. But a little poking around Yahoo or Google may point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Search for:

Quad Video PCI - I already got some hits,

One of particular interest was a special card by Matrox. G200 MMS (Multi Monitor System?) Part No 25P2723 listed on PriceWatch for $363

Edit1: Just found the "PNY Quadro4 NVS 400" does the same thing and costs around $400
NVidia Page on Quadro4 (Multiple Versions)

·
Registered
197 Posts
You're going to have some serious compatibility problems trying to use more than one video card unless it's designed to do so.

What you might consider is a VGA splitter. These are boxes that work the opposite way of a KVM switch - you give it the VGA feed, and it'll split it out to a number of monitors.

I can think of a few offhand that are in the $80-200 range that support 4 monitors. I'm sure you can get cheaper ones (or used!) if you don't need hi-res compatibility.

Check out this site ... I've used a few of these in the past, and they always did the job...

http://startech.com/kvmswitches/videosplitter.htm

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Duplicator

What you might consider is a VGA splitter. These are boxes that work the opposite way of a KVM switch - you give it the VGA feed, and it'll split it out to a number of monitors.

Unfortunatly I want to display different things on each, so a splitter is out of the question.

I think with 3 nvidia cards, 2 dual headed, I should be able to make it all appear as one really big desktop using just windows. Also I think nvidia has something called nView which may let me do other things as well.

-apnar

·
Registered
49 Posts
apnar - If you want to just have an AGP card, and then one PCI card and still be able to run 5 monitors, either analog or DVI, with possible different resolutions on each monitor, and different apps on each monitor, the best solution will come from a company called Appian. They are the leading video card source for CAD developers, so that's how I know about them.

One really nice card, found here:
Rushmore

would suit your needs very nicely.

It can be found here for $519.00:
http://www.isoutsource.com/velograph...D=259&CATID=46

Which would come to about $130 per head, not too bad :D

Oh, and the software bundle that Appian includes, HydraVision, is some of the best in the world for managing and automating the viewing experience.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.