Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions on the dual horn directv dish

for anyone who has more then one directv and added

an HDTV receiver w/ Directv as a third unit.

I have to replace my old RCA dish w/ the new Dual horn

model.. but what is the best way to be able to server

3 receivers... (2-normal & 1-HDTV) from a single dish ?

Does the dual horn dish have dual LNBs ???

Does the dish diplex the feeds and come down on

1 cable ??? Or are there 2 cables ???

My video distribution is very strange already and I

am sure this is going to make it even more so...

Plus, I really would rather not have 2 dishes on the roof.

thanks

-rick

·
Registered
232 Posts
Rick,

When you buy the elliptical dish (Model 8900E) it comes with a 4x4 multiswitch. You can get this for $149 or less at your local Best Buy. If you try to purchase a 4x4 multiswitch seperately, you will very likely end up spending more than the $149.

The coaxial runs from the two LNBs (2 coax cables from each LNB, total of four cables) feed in to the 4x4 switch. You then run one cable from the multiswitch to each of up to four receivers. It doesn't matter how many of them are normal receivers, and how many are HDTV capable receivers. The 8900E's multiswitch can be mounted to the back of the dish itself, but I would mount it somewhere else where it can be out of the weather.

------------------

Buddy Yaussy
My HT Page

·
Registered
7 Posts
In price shopping on the net I have seen numerous systems that include a 4-way switcher with the new 18x24 dish needed for HDTV reception. It is supposed to be able to supply signal to up to 4 receivers. I have also read where a third LNB can be added to the dish with optional hardware. But that should only be necessary if you subscribe to certain programming AND only in certain areas. Here's why (I think). As I understand it, normal DirecTV programming comes from the satellite at 101 degrees. HDTV programming will come from 119 degrees. The new 18x24 dual dish is configured to look at those two satellites (I believe). The third satellite, at 110 degrees, provides local channels in CERTAIN MARKETS only as well as the spannish service (as I understand it). It sounds to me like that 4-way switcher thing will handle your requirements. You should be able to get info on it on the web or from any halfway knowlegable satellite dealer in your area. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
734 Posts
If you need to go to a "dual horn" (dual sat) dish, apparently for HD, you will need a 24" elliptical dish. These generally come with a 4x4 multiswitch which have 4 inputs (two leads from each of the dual LNBs) and 4 outputs (for up to 4 receivers).

This will require one cable for each receiver that you want to connect, however. In your case, you will need three cables, one for the HD receiver and one for each of the two other receivers. You can NOT combine signals. There have been numerous discussions here and on the DirecTiVo forum about the technical reasons for this. Try a search for "4x4" or "multiswitch", you will find probably more than you want to know!

------------------

Tom

Sony SAT-T60 DirecTc>ic>Vc>oc> w/2.0.1

Sony SAN-24MD 24" elliptical dish

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.